Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Residence location on posts

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I would like to suggest that the suburb and state of each member appears automatically with each post.

How many times do we read a post asking "where do you live, mate?" when trying to contact forum members for get-togethers, buy/sells/swaps, matters relating to legislation differences between states etc?

Even if the location is as general as "Western Suburbs, Sydney", it at least automatically gives an idea of where a member is located.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
privacy mate... members are given the right to not acknowledge there direct location if they choose not too.

wont happen

aZk.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Agree with azk. There are some people who for various reasons prefer not to say where in the world they are. To do what the OP suggests would force you till fill in certain fields during registration, such as suburb or postcode, and that is an infringement on a persons privacy :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Bloody "privacy" - everybody seems to treasure it for some reason. I didn't suggest the full address. My example of Western Suburbs, Sydney" is pretty broad - what's wrong with something as broad as that?

I don't mind having my suburb and location on my posts, because I have nothing to hide and it helps others have some idea where I might be in case of personal dealings. I could change it to Central Coast, NSW - that's an area nearly 60km from north to south - how does that impinge "privacy"?

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Bloody "privacy" - everybody seems to treasure it for some reason. I didn't suggest the full address. My example of Western Suburbs, Sydney" is pretty broad - what's wrong with something as broad as that?

I don't mind having my suburb and location on my posts, because I have nothing to hide and it helps others have some idea where I might be in case of personal dealings. I could change it to Central Coast, NSW - that's an area nearly 60km from north to south - how does that impinge "privacy"?

lol, I have to agree with you here.

I will open a thread on it in the mod forum, see what is said. As far as I am concerned, privacy is hardly an issue, you must be in some pretty serious trouble with people if you do not wish to disclose the region you live in.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L

just because people don't want their details out there doesn't mean they have 'something to hide' the number of nice cars or parts that go missing from locked garages give people added incentive to be a bit paranoid on forums, it's been suggested more than a few times that members/browsers could be involved in some of those thefts, i know xlr8 was thinking it when his ecotec vn got nicked, and the same thing was suggested about other forum's itswar and vk6/71.

'western suburbs sydney' or 'central coast' might be fairly broad, but for people with more unique rides or in smaller communities it narrows it down a fair bit.
if somethings for sale and it's pickup then that's different, but there isn't really any reason it should be mandatory for all.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
I agree, a broad area would be fine, a suburb is too specific, many people wouldn't like to divulge this info for security reasons, especially those with a nice car, it just screams pinch me.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
like the word Sydney isnt too bad, if they dont like having to disclose the area when they join they can

a) LIE

b) not register

c) just say the city

Garth

Your guess is as good as mine......
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
100 series Toyota Landcruiser V8 monster
at the moment, in the top right hand side of anyones reply there is a part called location that is a requirement to be filled out.

those people who are worried about their privacy usualy put different places in their box there.

and if buying and selling goodies you have to follow the set layout in the for sale section which includes location details.

so this function is already there, just not being used right.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I can accept the argument that members residing in smaller communities or country towns are at a disadvantage and would not want their location pin-pointed. Perhaps just the State then? As I said, many posts contain the question "where do you live" or something similar, and it isn't so that someone can come knocking to help themselves to your property - it's because they are looking to hook up for a legitimate purpose such as selling/trading or even seeking technical assistance.

It seems that this issue has a mixed reception, with support for both arguments. I like Mimux's suggestion regarding a mod thread - please remember, my suggestion is only intended to be of assistance to members on the forum.