Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

respray bonnet or goes to wreckers??

steak000

Reaction score
Members Ride
vk Calais
hey we have a green vs commodre and its got some massive paint flacking on bonnet, looking at a respay or go down to local wreckers to find one?? whats the price of a respray?? worried of it gets respray might not look like the other pannels, rest of car paint is in great nic tho. which do you think i should get??

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You'd be very lucky to find the right colour at the wreckers so it would be best to get it sprayed. If you do all the prep work yourself it will bring down the cost of the respray dramatically and a good spraypainter will be able to match the colour.
Good Luck.

Chris E

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Executive 3.8
I hunted across every wrecker in brisbane and a few in melbourne while I was there on work and I actually ended up finding similar coloured panels for my green vr. Took me a long time but I did find them. Ended up paying 100$ for a bonnet its not an exact match and you can see the difference but for 100$ Its good enough. Depends how lucky you are and also how fussy lol

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
my paint on the bonnet was flaking big time, looks absolute ****. one sat arvo/night me and two mates (ones a apprentice sprayer and the other is an apprentice panel beater who sprays) and we did all the prep work, primed, top coat, clear, and the top of the bumper as that was flaking in about 3hrs(half in the dark), when u take into account i have clear and paint left it cost me about $100 (pait was $99/L)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
At least have a look at the wreckers, just on the off chance that they do have a bonnet the same colour. I picked up a rear bumper bar that was the same colour as my car which they had just happened to get the day before. Oh, and check eBay on the off chance that somebody is selling a bonnet that is the same colour that you might be able to pick up.

You might have to shop around a bit for a decent price on it being painted, if you want it done properly, other panels (i.e. the front guards) MIGHT have to be painted if you want the bonnet to blend flawlessly.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
my paint on the bonnet was flaking big time, looks absolute ****. one sat arvo/night me and two mates (ones a apprentice sprayer and the other is an apprentice panel beater who sprays) and we did all the prep work, primed, top coat, clear, and the top of the bumper as that was flaking in about 3hrs(half in the dark), when u take into account i have clear and paint left it cost me about $100 (pait was $99/L)

how did the colour matching go? did you just use generic paint using your paint code, or did you get a special kind made to match the paint fade? i have a green bonnet i also want to respray and would like to know more about painting it myself

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
srry i havent checked this post in a while, yeah i just used the paint code off the car, cost me $100/L from paint shop, they mixed it up

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Just for an idea of price, even though this thread is kinda old, i paid $250 to have my whole bonnet acid stripped and painted a few months back. Most places i spoke to seemed to be around that mark, although any smash repairers i went into for a quote that had all the insurance signs up (ie, RACQ prefered repairer, etc) seemed to quote rediculous prices - sometimes up to three times what other "big" workshops had quoted me. I kinda got the idea they didn't want "non-insurance" work from a walk-in customer.