Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Respray Question, can i do anything to save on labour?

TJ2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy 04 Series 2 Cosmo
hi guys, I own a VT 04, Series 2, Costmo, V6.

Pretty much I think the previous owner drove behind a truck, and there are alot of little chips on the bonette, front quarter panels and the front bumper bars. I can live with it, but I really want it looking awesome with the rest of the car.

Ive been qouted about ~1400 to get it resprayed, not sure if thats to muche tc. (im in vic, western surburbs)

My question is is there anything I can do to prepare the car for the respray, i.e to minus the labour costs of the spray painters, so i can get it done cheaper. I just finished uni so have a fair bit of time on my hands, so can get it done good and proper.

To my understanding its, sand back the paint till you hit the primer which is a bluey colour? I would use a rough sand paper type, then to smooth it out, use something very very fine.

Tips or links to a how to would be great, just cant seem to find anything.

Any tips, would be appreciated, or suggestions

Skidney

Utes do it better.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP UTE
you have to let the painter do all the work mate. if the paint bubbles or something later on, they dont want to risk you coming back and complaining, because they dont know how you have done the prep work.

they should be doing it all

TJ2009

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy 04 Series 2 Cosmo
yeah i heard a mate did most of the sanding stuff, and let them do the rest thats all, i have no intention of painting it, prob wont mess with primer, i just plan to remove the paint (sand it down, then use block sander), i was thinking if i talk to the panel beater, ill do my 'efforts' on one quarter panel. if he says its okay, then ill do the next, if he says it wont cut it, then ill just give it to them to do it.

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Hey mate, people on here would know alot more than me but i thought you just had to rub the clear coat, not down to the primer..

tattoowrx

Reaction score
best thing you can do is remove all the fittings and rub it back your self!

majority of the cost in spraying the car is the prep work... thats the most important part!

customvt

Reaction score
Members Ride
4.2 vt executive
Hey mate, people on here would know alot more than me but i thought you just had to rub the clear coat, not down to the primer..

all depends on how deep the chips are ive had to rub to bare metal before, and also let the painter do it. i wont guarentee a job i only half do and i dont think many other painters will.