Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

respray question

Jimmyboy91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS executive
Hey
i have a vs with a very dark green (virtually black ) paint its an arcrylic paint and was told by a spray painter that he would only do a 2pak respray on the car if it was taken back to bare metal ( something about arcrylic paint moving around and showing through the new paint).... what i want to know is a) is this actually correct and B) if it is correct wouln't i just be able to get it sanded back a bit and it resprayed in the same colour and in the arcrylic type paint ???
thanks
James

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
Sounds like bull**** to me about painting moving around, but i honestly dont know.

I would go bare metal, but make sure he is actually taking it back to bare metal, I would never spray a car regardless without going back to bare metal, then you can find any rust, plus it will be dead smooth.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
it is true, you cannot spray two pack over acrylic, there are many more active solvents in two pack, from what I know this is only one of many reasons.

Just so you know ALL VS's came out with a polyester basecoat and an acrylic clear, rub the clear off and unless your car has had any touch ups it "should" be ok, I know my VS had two pack high fill straight over the origional paint and it worked fine (6 months later for the primer and no adverse effects) although we had to bare metal two panels which had been touched up in acrylic.