Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Respraying tailgate.

MADDNE33

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 vs ute series 3
Hey guys,

Ok so i had a little accident with my tailgate straps napping and sending my tailagte flying into my exhuast creating a big dent in the left hand side. Since i have pulled the dent out and bogged and sanded the dent out smooth. Ive also removed my badges wich has ripped some paint off with it so ive sanded them back as well.

Ive tried touch up paint but my car has been resprayd a different white so i cant find the right colour, so ive decided to get the whole tailgate resprayed.

Im just abit stuck on the prep work as ive never done things like this before.
As i said its had a respray and there is two layers of paint on the car.

Should i sand back all the shine back to a dull colour and this will be ok to paint on?

Also what grit wet and dry should i be using?

I have acess to a gun and booth so i will give the painting a shot but again just stuck with the prep work.

Thanks in advance guys

Faynt11

Feeder of Trolls
Reaction score
Members Ride
07' VE SV6 Ute
p400 dry and or p800wet will do the job.
don't take this the wrong way but i'd get a professional to do it. it's really easy to do something wrong that'll end up costing you more.

Boostedn14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
just blend paste the whole tailgate with scuff stuff and a grey scotch. Will be enough to key up your paint for a fresh paint job. Unless your going to prime your whole tailgate, then i would just 180 it and hi fill it......then just 240 block it and finish it with 400 (thats if your car is white and your painting it in 2k)