Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Restoring the look of the cast alloy

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was wondering the easiest way to get the rough cast engine components back to a lighter ali sort of what they would have been like from factory. I know a light dilution of caustic soda and water works quite well as it also removes oil residue. But I'd like to know if say aerosol paint stripper would do the same thing?

Wozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR_GS commodore
Aqua Blasting, Vaqua Blasting, Wet Blasting same thing just under different names...Anyway seams to be the trend these days...seen some nice results almost better than new

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Aqua Blasting, Vaqua Blasting, Wet Blasting same thing just under different names...Anyway seams to be the trend these days...seen some nice results almost better than new

Thanks Wozza, I will see if the car detailers in Launceston do this. Otherwise it might be a batch of caustic in a pump bottle and the karcher.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Oven cleaner and wash it off after

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Oven cleaner and wash it off after
i was wondering about that when I cleaned the oven a week ago. That sounds like the go, inexpensive and really easy.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hydro blasting 100%. Oven cleaner works but doesn’t get rid of discolouration like hydroblasting does, and will eat the alloy if you leave it on too long or don’t clean it off properly/neutralise it after.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just squirted most of a can of oven cleaner on. Got it a fair bit better but I should have waited more than 10 mins as some parts cam up well but patchy. The new 2000psi pressure washer helps as well. I am going to put some more oven cleaner on once it dries a bit but leave it on 25-30 mins this time.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just hit it again with some more oven cleaner and will let it sit for 20mins this time. What it has brought out is that stupid varnish they spray on the engine and ancillaries. If the oven cleaner doesn't get it off I may need a pressure can of paint stripper.
I am still going to look into hydro-blasting and find out if we have anywhere in Launceston who does it. A Google search brought up no results locally but that's not to say there is no one actually does it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quick pic of the results. I sprayed the engine the second time fairly hot and that is a bad idea. It made the alloy too dark. I steel woold it best i could but its still not perfect. It's 100% better than it was. I still have some clear to pressure wash off the booster but i will do that later, next time I use the washer. It really needs aqua blasting, hopefully there is a place that does it. The red in the manifold stands out a lot better now. The oven cleaner really polished up the 3800.
20190224_182422_resized.jpg

1985VK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL
Try some mag wheel cleaner (oxalic acid)