Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Restoring ve Headlights

bfhoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx commodore
HI

Just wondering is there any way to spruc up headlights when they are on they look like they have been sandblasted with particles high kilometre vehcle anyway to tidy it up or is it just buy new headlights which I dont think I really want to do.

Thanks

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Post up some photos if you have them, and let me know where you are and I can probably point you in the right direction if you like.

Polycarbonate lenses will haze up again quickly using the store bought sand/polish options. There are a number of coating type products that will help them last longer, or there's the option of applying an OE style UV coating that gets cured on the lens.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
I'm under the impression with the polycarbonate lens the UV treating is a must and the cut and polish isn't worth doing unless you plan on doing the UV coating as well

If you refinish polycarbonate and leave it bare, it will oxidise super quickly. You can prolong that with waxes and sealants and even quartz and ceramic coatings - but they will still oxidise in time. 2K clear is a really good option to use but there is the downside of having to deal with the texture from the gun, sanding and polishing it all out and then protecting it from there once cured. Also, unless you're doing it yourself, it's really only worth doing to factory HID lights that tend to cost $900+ each to replace. Not worth doing to holden lights that can come in at under $300 a pair.

The factory coating is purely UV protection - it has little chemical resistance or hydrophobic properties or anything like that. But it's quite thick (generally around 12-15 microns) and is cured under direct UV light. You can then apply quartz or ceramic coatings over this UV layer to then work to protect that and help it last beyond it's normal durability or you can wax/seal it when you do the rest of the car. Because it's designed specifically for the job of protecting raw polycarbonate, the lens will not oxidise under the coating - the only way it will haze is if the UV coating becomes compromised through neglect or damage. And it is significantly cheaper than prep and labour for 2k clear, though is a very different process to normal sanding and polishing. Also, due to it needing to be cured under a UV light rig, it isn't really a DIY job.

NZ-GTR

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 SSV Blown 373KW ATW
Mate, I tried the light restoration kit, and was really disappointed with the result. I'm quite anal in how I do things and I followed the instructions carefully. My expectation was that the kit would allow me to restore my headlights to a near new condition, the kit made my lights worse than they were originally.

I think if your lights are in a desperate state you might be happyish with the result, but if your lights are "not perfect but warrantable" you will most likely make them worse than when you started.

In the end I bought a new set of projector headlights and installed them and am now very happy with the result. I hope this helps.