Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retailers Angry at Online Shopping.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I can sort of understand if they want local companies to pay GST but how can you charge a tax to a business that is based in a different country. That would basically mean that (for example) an American company would have to report their income to the ATO. Absolutely retarded if you ask me, there is no possible way of implementing it.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
I can sort of understand if they want local companies to pay GST but how can you charge a tax to a business that is based in a different country. That would basically mean that (for example) an American company would have to report their income to the ATO. Absolutely retarded if you ask me, there is no possible way of implementing it.

theyd just remove the $1000 import limit, and make the buyer pay import fees and gst on anything they buy from overseas. the seller wont have to deal with the ato or anything.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car

Businesses don't pay GST. Purchasers do.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Charge GST, I don't care. I purchased close to $1000 worth of Autometer gauges from the States, best price I could get here was $2000 and a 4 week wait.............$1100 is still better then $2000.

Turd Ferguson

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Disco
I work in the retail industry (Granted its a supermarket and not stuff you can really all import)

But I totally agree, and considering they were only considering moving the tax free threshold down to $300 it still wouldnt bother me much, since i have rarely bought anything over $300 over the net, all the other things like video games would still be the same.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
GST should be all or nothing. Stupid farkin Greens!

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
LOL, these retailers have farked up big time.

I wonder how many people are getting hpone calls like I did earlier this morning...was mum calling asking me if I can show her some good places to shop online to save some money.

Own goal to the retailers LMAO.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I agree, You can't go anywhere in australia and get halfway decent service. So why should we pay top dollar for ****?

Seriously when was the last time you seen good quality furniture in any major retail outlet?
It's all cheap chip board laminate **** with a $1000+ price tag on it.

You can get it - but you pay through the nose for it, especially if its australian made.

A few years ago my mum went to sydney cbd to a chinese furniture shop. She custom ordered a coffee table just to see what the quality was like. She was told it would turn up in 2 months. Two months later she gets a call, and a truck turns up at her place and they unload this huge coffee table. Its solid wood, hand carved with inlaid glass top. The craftsmanship was awesome and cost around $1500. Try getting that at Hardley Normal.

Two years ago I bought the SME Mining Engineering Handbook from Amazon in the US.

AU$180 delivered to my door.

Local bookshop down the road wanted $400.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The really funny thing I herd on the news last night was that online sales = about 3% of all retail sales. LOl at that - they are winging at just 3% wait until it hits 30% then they can close the doors and sack every one. By then we will HAVE to buy Holdens on line from China.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
if australia wasnt so expensive i wouldnt be buying stuff from the us.
seriously a $60 tshirt here its 20-30 in america what would u choooce?