Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retainers (Teeth)

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
in 3 weeks i get my braces off and will be getting a retainer

now my Orthodontist he is reckomends a invisiline which is a clear mould which cover all you teeth and retains them from moving

but ive heard bad stories about these
my sister had problem with hers which caused gum problems and her teeth to move
my gf had probs with hers and her bottom teeth moved and had to pay for braces again

now has anyone else had good/bad experiance with the invisiliner?

everyone is saying get a hard plastic retainer which goes up the top of your mouth with the wire around the front of your teeth .

should i get this over the invisiliner?

ive payed 5 and half grand out of my own pocket for braces and i dont really want to have to pay again because the retainer wont stop my teeth moving

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I dont remember them being called invisiline, but i had just a clear plastic mould that was moulded to my teeth and basically just slipped on and i only wore them at night. There is no way that they could have let my teeth go out of position, that only happens to the people who dont wear them everyday like they should and then their teeth move a bit and it then becomes to painful to wear the retainer and as such they wear them even less till they dont fit and their teeth just go back to ****.
The good thing with the clear retainer is others cant tell your wearing it as its near invisible. You know your wearing it cause you cant touch your teeth together and it feels a little weird at first. I stopped wearing mine after about 6 months. My teeth have moved slightly now, but they have settled and arnt going anyfurther.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
It's your choice really bro , my ms had her bracers taken out, only 1 tooth out of the whole lot isnt perfect just slighty moved but the rest are sweet, its really upto you mate, everybody's different.

I was meant to get bracers when i was a younger lad but my parents couldnt afford it back then, but all i got from not having them was the 4 bottoms slighty moved no pain or nothing i can still floss etc.. i guess sometimes it can be in your head too..

If you think u need it bro get it, or youll just worry and casue yourself stress u dont want..

HoldrodeoLT

I have no lemon pledge...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 Holden Rodeo RA LT, 2008 Polaris Hawkeye 300
I had the old skool one for 4 years and it was fine... Just make sure u dont forget to put it in every night... once i forgot about it for 2 nights.. and it hurt like hell trying to push the thing back on, cause my teeth had moved slightly in the short space of time...

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
i had a retainer plate (upper) and a fixed lower retainer which is still there (goes behind teeth so u cant see it anyway)

my auntie is a dentist and she uses the "invisiline" retainers seems to work ok...

i wore my plate 1/2 the time i was supposed to for the first 9 months then stopped wearing it, ive noticed some movement but not much...

i had a bimax operation to ajust my upper and lower jaw and now have 6 titanium plates and 3 bone graphs so my Dental region is a dentists wet dream... lol atleast i can use my teeth now...

have fun, now chicks will be all over you, chicks dont dig guys over 18 with braces...

elemeNtz

It's my first day :3
Reaction score
Members Ride
responsibly
wear the bloody things and if you're teeth move...
your teeth move if you allow them to. I've been off braces for a few years and my front teeth (top & bottom) move if i don't sleep with the retainers for more than 3 nights

retainers are great, i have had both wires behind my teeth knocked out playing football

nicko

Carbon Positive - DO IT!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
75 cruiser ute
i have been wearing retainers for 3 ****ing years, teeth still move. i put them in once a month and my teeth bleed by they straighten out. If there is any advice i can give you it its " DO STOP WEARING THEM OR YOUR TEETH WILL MOVE AND GET ****ED UP"

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
Yeah I have the fixed wires behind my teeth both top and bottom. Seems to have worked fine for the year and a half I have had it so can't complain. They are just annoying If food manages to get tangled in them lol

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
cheers all for you insights

yer this is something im not wanting too stuff up by being lazy and not wearing them
5 grand is alot of money to fork out over 2 years on your first two years of a apprenticeship

the orthodontist doesnt want to use a fixed retainer behind my teeth as he doesnt like doing them and doesnt reckomend them

so really its either the invisiliner (clear mould) or the one on top off your pallet with the wires around the teeth
im leaning more so towards the one in top of mouth as i havnt heard many bad things about it

but im still intrested in other peoples experinaces/opinions
cheers

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
I use to wear one for awhile but one time I went away for like 5 days and forgot it lol. :whistling When I got back I thought crap...I better whack it back on and it kained like **** but I thought I'd better make up for those 5 days and keep it on all the time and just put up with the pain, (hoping my teeth would go back lol). I then gave up on it after I lost it a little while after and my teeth have moved a little but pretty much bugger all. :unsure:

So if you get one keep at it and wear the bloody thing otherwise your teeth could move heaps and would be a shame to waste all that money you've spent by not wearing that plastic teeth mould!