Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retard motor for NOS- HELP PLEASE

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The hard starting will be due to the retarded base timing on the dizzy. Retarding it more to suit nitrous will make that worse.

Factory base timing on the older 308's was 6° BTDC, on the 304's the factory is 10° BTDC. But honestly more is normally better, especially with a bit of a cam in there. I would suggest that you get the timing sorted properly for n/a and then adjust only when running nitrous.

What MSD unit are you running? Some have a timing retard function for use with nitrous.

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
will get timing sorted before anything
am running an MSD Pro Billet-ready run (holden v8) distributor now
Manuel (msd) says something about timing and rev limit functions and will read up on it.( graphs and stuff of curbs)
thanks for the info as had motor for so long now and don't want to kill it.

H

harrop.senator

Fast hi6-r box on the factory distributor with trc-2 on demand with the nitrous activation triggering the timing pull.

They don't re-graph a dissy without rebuilding it. I'd be using a control box with what ya got.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I will just add to this thread.
I have looked into NoX for my VS 5l.
So the best system out there is runner foggers controlled by a holly sniper. And there is a company in the UK making PWM solenoids so you can run all 5 stages with one noid.

Just for everyones information.

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
he did not supply a control box(is an MSD pro billet ready to run PN 85891 and not come with a control box according to the part list?
I don't know does this sound correct?
is what he installed cost me a fortune just for MSD alone.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yup, that is normal for a ready to run distributor.

Those boxes are normally part of high energy/multi spark type system with the benefit of the added functions like rev limiters and timing retards.

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
so I just get timing checked and they can retard to suit on dizzy(MSD) if need?
or do I need to buy a control box as well?
as instructions say rev limit /tacho programs only.
also, would a box be safer or better for the donk?
as is my pride and joy and want what's best for her as had a long time now.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Have the distributor set up properly for the engine to run n/a and if you want to use nitrous at the track just retard the distributor timing to suit and when you go to leave put it back to where it suits normal n/a operation.

If you were racing all the time using nitrous than adding a timing retard function with a programmable external box of some time would be of benefit.

1978vcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
1978 VB SLE COMODOORE
Sorted as only going to have a bit of fun on track with a giggle for a bit and mostly driven on street then so will take out or seal as road rules
when street completed.
thanking you.

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
Thinking outside the box for a moment, can’t E85 capable tables be added to L76 ECU where those E85 tables are modded to cater for the NOS timing needs when shooting NOS into a 98RON mixture? Then it should just be a matter of triggering the appropriate E85 table using whatever mechanism the Flexfuel sensor uses to indicate E85… Obviously using such would mean you’re no longer able to run alcohol based fuels as those modded tables won’t suit…
Going a step further, one could combine the FLexfuel sensor input to fine tune fuel and the IAT to fine tune timing.

IAT - so a knob with several positions could be added to switch between columns , like -40, -35 ,-25

1625975892974.png

FLexFuel Sensor - A knob would control a device like 555 or microcontroller which would generate the frequency to change the % on the AFR table thus adjusting fuel.

1625976228912.png

That would be nice controlling fuel and spark without having to reflash.