Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retirement

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Ok, later this year I am going to retire from the work force. I still have 14 months to go till I officially reach retirement age, but I have decided I have had enough , this body can't keep up with the workload, plus having osteoarthritis in my lower back , a pinched Ulnar nerve in my elbow which makes my fingers numb and having a heart attack some years ago doesn't help.
This is mainly aimed at the older guys on this site, what hobbies do you have , or volunteer work do you do to pass the time.
I will need something to keep me occupied to stop the wife from going crazy .

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Ok, later this year I am going to retire from the work force. I still have 14 months to go till I officially reach retirement age, but I have decided I have had enough , this body can't keep up with the workload, plus having osteoarthritis in my lower back , a pinched Ulnar nerve in my elbow which makes my fingers numb and having a heart attack some years ago doesn't help.
This is mainly aimed at the older guys on this site, what hobbies do you have , or volunteer work do you do to pass the time.
Enjoy your retirement!
Do you have a local "Mens Shed"? Might be a good place to hang out.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I stopped working when I was 68 and only then because I had a work related accident that stopped me working. I spent two years on compo so I really retired when I was 70. Each day I do over two hours exercise, nothing strenuous I do cryptic crosswords, spend a bit of time on this site and foreign news. I have the cars to play with and do a bit around the section. It doesn't amount to much but I'm never bored. My wife and I have been together for 44 years, we don't really have common interests but that works out well. Also we have a dog that takes up a bit of our time.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I retired at 60, well sort of, when the planets aligned.
After working 18 years for an average of 56 hours each 38 hour week (shift work), and getting less tolerant of customers and idiot managers who had lost touch with reality, decided that enough was enough.
I was offered a part time job of 30 hours per week, and after paying less tax, getting employer super instead of paying contributory super, and 1/3 of previous petrol costs, I was financially ahead. With head space problems gone, I was miles ahead.

For the next 12 years, with very flexible working time and a good boss, wifey#1 and I spent a lot of time and money travelling to Dead Dingo Creek, to see places and do things that most Australians don’t even know about.
Places that are not Oz or NZ, nil interest. (Lucky Starr, eat your heart out). So that occupied a lot of time, planning trips and spending money.
Also, became members of the local Tidy Towns Group, which provided a social and ‘give back to the community’ past-time.
This has now folded, due to members falling off their perch, or moving out of the area, and no interest from local council to help, or willingness of younger people to do physical work.

I have completed my collection of Bathurst winners from 1964 to 2008, and other Holden / Ford / Chrysler model cars, so there is a hobby that lasted for 30+ years.

The last 2 years have been a write-off. Planned trips cancelled, arguing with travel insurance companies over a period of 8 months provided mental exercises, but now, general lethargy and CBFd attitude after lockdown/masks/ QR codes have to be overcome.
Even social gatherings are becoming boring ……….. how’s your health, which politician is going to get the arse, war is coming, the next COVID strain ………… all those sort of uplifting subjects.

RSL ? No, thanks.
Mens Shed ? Too many sad stories.
Go back to work ? Doubt it.
Clean up the garage, and find tools ? Never ending task.
Polish the inside of my rims ? Done.
Just wait for the grim reaper to knock on the front door ?

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R

its called work!.... paid or unpaid, just something to get you out of the house :)

my... partner, better half, spouse told me if I ever retire*, she (note - she is a redhead!)
said she will stick a knife between my ribs until I don't move.
why?
my retirement would interrupt her social life! :eek:

* and yes I am of retirement and pensionable age and proof of that is attending
the first Sunbury rock concert in 1972:p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Maybe try getting into delivering pamphlets....Something you can do a couple of days per week.....A day to get them altogether and a day to deliver them....I did this when I was 14 or 15...Kept me occupied and a few bucks in the pocket to boot...

You could do some voluntary work driving a bus for the elderly taking them on outings...

There's a couple of ideas

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
* and yes I am of retirement and pensionable age and proof of that is attending the first Sunbury rock concert in 1972:p

How do you know you were there ? I thought that if you attended, you didn't remember it, due to something you may have eaten or drank or inhaled. :)..

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I retired at 60, well sort of, when the planets aligned.
After working 18 years for an average of 56 hours each 38 hour week (shift work), and getting less tolerant of customers and idiot managers who had lost touch with reality, decided that enough was enough.
I was offered a part time job of 30 hours per week, and after paying less tax, getting employer super instead of paying contributory super, and 1/3 of previous petrol costs, I was financially ahead. With head space problems gone, I was miles ahead.

For the next 12 years, with very flexible working time and a good boss, wifey#1 and I spent a lot of time and money travelling to Dead Dingo Creek, to see places and do things that most Australians don’t even know about.
Places that are not Oz or NZ, nil interest. (Lucky Starr, eat your heart out). So that occupied a lot of time, planning trips and spending money.
Also, became members of the local Tidy Towns Group, which provided a social and ‘give back to the community’ past-time.
This has now folded, due to members falling off their perch, or moving out of the area, and no interest from local council to help, or willingness of younger people to do physical work.

I have completed my collection of Bathurst winners from 1964 to 2008, and other Holden / Ford / Chrysler model cars, so there is a hobby that lasted for 30+ years.

The last 2 years have been a write-off. Planned trips cancelled, arguing with travel insurance companies over a period of 8 months provided mental exercises, but now, general lethargy and CBFd attitude after lockdown/masks/ QR codes have to be overcome.
Even social gatherings are becoming boring ……….. how’s your health, which politician is going to get the arse, war is coming, the next COVID strain ………… all those sort of uplifting subjects.

RSL ? No, thanks.
Mens Shed ? Too many sad stories.
Go back to work ? Doubt it.
Clean up the garage, and find tools ? Never ending task.
Polish the inside of my rims ? Done.
Just wait for the grim reaper to knock on the front door ?
Like you mens shed, for different reasons not a chance
Go back to work, perhaps not
clean up garage and find tools, an ongoing battle.
haven't polished inside of rims.
grim reaper. My mother lived until she was one month shy of her 101 birthday. She never did a day's exercise in her life and she could easily lost 20kg without to much of a problem. My younger brother who said he had the good genes because of following her side of he family (not true) died of a blood clot to his brain at the age of 63 and that was after winning $300,000 earlier that year at lotto. Something that was avoidable had he gone to see a doctor. My older brother who is 78 has been having mini srokes as well as getting covid and doesn't seem to think he is going to live much longer. That leaves my sister who is one year younger than me and my handicapped brother who is 63 and wasn't supposed to live beyond the age of 30 and of course me who are all in good health. All I can say about the grim reaper is that he better watch out or I will be coming for him.