Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

retro fit aftermarket elec aerial into vh sle

82vhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sle v8
I have an vh sle and the original aerial has failed. I have purchased an aerpro branded electric aerial which is supposed to fit vb - vl. I cannot get this aerial to operate with the existing module. the new aerial will only work when radio is on. I cannot get it to operate via the override switch on the dash. has anyone ever tried this please and is there a way around it so it will work like the original unit. thanks for looking.
cheers
aaron

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
did you get a semi auto antenna or full auto?

im not familiar with the vh switch, does it control the height or just complete up/down?

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I have a full auto for the VB, I took the whole factory system out, left switch in the dash for looks but it is disconnected. Mine's hardwired into the radio. I get the impression that's the way the aftermarket unit is supposed to be?

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
you can by semi and full auto aftermarket.

semi is just 2 wires to the motor, need to apply power to one and negative to other, and vice versa to wind antenna up or down.

fully auto requires constant wire, then trigger wire(accesories from key, or antenna wire from aftermarket radio) to tell it to go up, remove trigger tells it to go down.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
semi auto is da ghey. have to use relays.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I haven't seen semi-automatic for sale aftermarket in a long time
Aeropro only seems to list a full auto aerial for the Commodore.

I plan on fitting one to my VH. It hasn't got an electric aerial at all, but I have installed the switch.
I'm just going to get a full auto aeropro (because I can't find a semi-auto) and pull it apart, convert it over to a full manual aerial so I can control it with the switch.

82vhsle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh sle v8
thanks for the input guys.
it is a full auto aerial. the switch controls the height ( up & down ).
will a semi auto aerial work like the original? do you need to put relays with it to work?
thanks again.
cheers

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
The VH SL/E aerial is a 'semi-automatic'
full auto means there is no up or down control.
When you turn the radio on the aerial goes fully up, and when you turn the radio off it goes fully down.

So your best solution is to buy a semi-auto aerial. However I haven't seen a semi-auto aerial for sale for a long time. Aeropro is the main aftermarket supplier and they only list a full auto aerial.

If I can't find a semi-auto aerial, I'm going to buy the full auto aerial and pull it apart, and remove/disable any of the 'full auto' components and just wire it up so it works off the up/down switch. However only downside is it won't auto retract when the ignition is turned off...

jandjmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0L
You can wire a fully auto aerial to work with the OE wiring and module, basically the original semi auto aerial uses a seperate 12v up signal and a seperate 12v down signal, whereas the new fully auto aerials requires two 12volt supplies to make it extend and by removing one of them the aerial retracts.

Attached is the wiring I used and the module works exactly the same as the original using all the original parts, Aerial module and dash switch. I can't remember what diodes I used, but the antenna fuse's were only 5 amp and jaycar could advise on the best one to use.

By using a diode the 12v "up supply" is supplied to both terminals on the fully auto aerial. When the radio is turned on the aerial will extend approx 150mm like the original. and can be extended the rest of the way using the dash switch. When either the radio is turned off or the ignition is turned off, the aerial module will only supply 12v to the down terminal on the aerial (the diode prevents voltage to the up terminal of the aerial).

Attachments

• vh sle antenna wiring.JPG
    vh sle antenna wiring.JPG
    27 KB · Views: 3,242

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
You can wire a fully auto aerial to work with the OE wiring and module, basically the original semi auto aerial uses a seperate 12v up signal and a seperate 12v down signal, whereas the new fully auto aerials requires two 12volt supplies to make it extend and by removing one of them the aerial retracts.

Attached is the wiring I used and the module works exactly the same as the original using all the original parts, Aerial module and dash switch. I can't remember what diodes I used, but the antenna fuse's were only 5 amp and jaycar could advise on the best one to use.

By using a diode the 12v "up supply" is supplied to both terminals on the fully auto aerial. When the radio is turned on the aerial will extend approx 150mm like the original. and can be extended the rest of the way using the dash switch. When either the radio is turned off or the ignition is turned off, the aerial module will only supply 12v to the down terminal on the aerial (the diode prevents voltage to the up terminal of the aerial).

very helpful, thanks for that
I'll save your diagram for when I hook my aerial up.