Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retro fit Parcel shelf Question

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
yeah they all have the 6 inch holes, some are spot welded in depending on which model you have. But is there really any point in mounting a decent pair of speakers that far back?

u know the answer to that, theres no point mounting a decent pair of speakers anywhere in the back :p

For rear fill i dont see why you're bothering making up custom **** to be honest ;)

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Couldnt have said it better myself.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
i wouldn't really say it's custom... Splits are going in the back because im pissing the 6x9's off... but i just want to move the speaker location a little further forward. But i think i might just take the easy way out, and just get a VP shelf with the factory grills, and just use the factory holes and be done with it..Wont sound as good, but means i wont have to frig around with it..and i'll probably just mount the tweeters in the hoodlining retainers...

CosmoVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S' Ute
hope you didn't cut up the metal shelf when you where trying to fit the 6 x 9's. quickest way to get a perminate defect. police and regency dont like cut metal, something to do with structial integrety??

azzfox

Braaap.
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VE SS-V
hope you didn't cut up the metal shelf when you where trying to fit the 6 x 9's. quickest way to get a perminate defect. police and regency dont like cut metal, something to do with structial integrety??

I wouldnt call it perminate. But it is a structural defect. My VN has a cut shelf because the previous owner decided to install 6x9's the bad way. Im just going to make up some thin metal plates to fit over the cut holes, cut standard 6" holes out of them and get someone to weld them in. That and new shelf carpet/board = nothing ever happened ;)

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Well yeah i did cut the metal for the 6x9's, but that was ages ago, before i even knew about it being illeagal ect..But i'm doing the same as Azzfox and sealing it back up.

Yeah splits are going in the rear- WHy?- because i'm upgrading my system, and i'll be upgrading my fronts splits aswell, so rather than sell them off and take a big loss, i'm moving them to the back, where they will become the permanent rear fill, in the factory location. No complaints from the rear passengers lol...and yes pissing the 6x9's off, (sale sect if anyones interested!) have found out for sure, VR/VS shelf will not fit, plus is doesnt come in the blue, to match the rest of my interior anyway, so im just going to pick up another VP Calais shelf and use that. Just have to get the tweeters sitting nicely in the rear retainers, and i'm good to go.....

Any one who's used the stock rear mounting location, did you use a spacer so that the speaker isnt metal on metal?? if so were the any clearance issues. I'd like to find out before i have to attempt it, as anyone who has mucked around with those pressed fibre shelves will know how much of a bitch they can be to work with....