Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retro fit Parcel shelf Question

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Hey guys, im up for a new parcel shelf after ive hacked mine up one too many times:bang:
Now ive noticed that with either VR/VS that the factory speaker grills are closer to the cabin, than in the earlier VN/VP versions...? Can a later model shelf be fitted to the VP? and would there be much involved in mounting a 6, or 6.5, to take place with the factory grill location on it?:thumbsup:

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
I would say the holes in the metal are located in different spots too if the grilles are in different spots, but i could be wrong there.
If by install 6/6.5s into the parcel shelf you mean screwed to the metal then either way you'll be able to mount them in there but the grilles in the parcel shelf may not line up properly....their rears anyway so shouldnt be a huge deal.

Why not just go with a VN/VP parcel shelf?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
yeah the factory holes in the metal are in a different location.. Im looking at a later model shelf so i can add some splits, but have a completely stock appearcance..But i dont like how on the VN/VP shelf, the speaker grills are so far back, i would never mount speakers there, ona VR/VS unit, the grills are much closer to the cabin. The more i think about it, i dont think it can be done. I might just look at re-trimmnig a VN/VP shelf to suit..

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
It'll fit. Its just 1 inch too short. As for speaker holes, grab a small mesh cover (from the wreckers), a dremel and some glue.
Also you will need a VR/VS high mount stop light and bracket.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
hmm, sounds like a lot of work, i'm might just get a standard VN/VP shelf without the grills, and re-trim it, and just use the Sony grills....Your idea sounds good on paper Stocky, but i'd most likely **** it up lost most things i attempt. For example, i took me 3 parcel shelves to fit my 6x9's...:bang:

crawjp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Dont all VP+ commodores have the holes as standard? I mean they have the holes but have peices of sheet metal spot welded in to cover them up if no rears were fitted from the factory.

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
my old vn had 6" holes in it so i'm guessing you're right sir

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah sorry VN+ haha.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
yeah they all have the 6 inch holes, some are spot welded in depending on which model you have. But is there really any point in mounting a decent pair of speakers that far back?