Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retrofitting Bimodal Exhaust on VF Commodore 6.0L

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
Hi All,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on an electrical question I have because I am a little confused. I have purchased a set of VF Series II bimodal mufflers and have successfully prototypes a control board to open and close the valves. Now it comes to wiring my control box to the car. At first I simply wanted to find out how the VF Series II was wired. I have all that info now. The only thing is that my VF Series I seems to have fuses and relay installed that relate to the series II bimodal exhaust.

So, First I found the schematic for the bimodal exhaust as shown here.

And the Rear Fuse box layout as shown here.

And what I found is that the 20A fuse F17 and the exhaust relay are both installed on my Series I.
I have tested to fuse and there is power running through it and the relay pins 86 and 87 have Battery power and chassis ground as per the schematic. I don't know yet if pin 85 runs off to the BCM yet and I'm assuming pin 30 goes nowhere.

Has anymore had any experience with the bimodal exhaust and its wiring, and maybe explain why my series I was the exhaust relay and fuse installed?

Regards,
John

BTW.
Now just so you know, my Series I is probably one of the last made before Holden switched over to series II. So much so that a Carfacts history check on my VIN says it is a Series II with a 6.2L, but it is not. The Engine is definitely an L77 with AFM. So maybe some of the wiring was already changed before Series II went into full production.

Last edited:

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
A short update on where this project is at. I have had the exhausts on the car and tested the controller and it does work, but finding the correct power source is the issue at the moment. I had the controller wired up to accessory power, but found that on a remote start the accessories where not powered and the valves would not close. Once you get into the car and press the start/stop button, the accessories would power up and the valves would close. I need to locate the power for ignition, but haven't had time yet.

This is a short video I recorded on the current controller.

jpb308

Reaction score
Members Ride
HG Premier/VN 304
Hi John

Did you ever get this working?

I'd love to do the same - need to check if I have the fuse and relay.

Cheers

Jeremy

clappa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS11 Redline
Question for you. Where did you get the relay from for this circuit? Holden don’t have one. And mine is missing out of my car.
Wise from eBay, anyone in Sydney or do you know the aftermarket part number for the same relay?

Murray223

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 Calais wagon
Well hi... I'm a new contributor, having trawled through all the info on bimodal that I can find. Picked up some VF2 SSV mufflers in Lismore yesterday, and proceeding to fabricate a cable setup to turn 'em on & off!!! Bits & pieces of stainless, some little pulleys, bolts & wire & new lengths of outer & inner motorbike throttle cable and some kind of cam-action lever under the driver seat will do it. All those other electronic contraptions look way harder than my analogue contraption! I've already got the muffler butterfly mechanisms sorted. The hard part will be getting the flange thingys from the old mufflers welded onto the new ones whilst keeping those tips looking perfectly aligned, which is important to me. Strange that they changed that config between VF1 & VF2... If I can figure out how to launch photos, I'll get some happening.
... wish me luck, or if you must, tell me why this won't work. Murray.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
If I can figure out how to launch photos

You can use the "Upload a File" button next to "Post Reply" button, but you may have to resize pics first depending on their size.

Alternatively, you can use an image hosting site like Imgur and paste the pic URL into the box that appears when you click the picture icon (next to the smiley face icon) at the top of the reply box.

I'm keen to see how you get this going.

Analogue style FTW !

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I think using vacuum bi-modal valves would be a lot simpler...

Murray223

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 Calais wagon
P1020810.JPG
P1020809.JPG

A few hours and some scrap stainless and a file, drill & 4" grinder later, here's a couple of snaps of the prototype. Works great, fully open to fully closed, easy & smooth pull of the cable, I can make it pretty sturdy & shockproof, and just need to get a couple of cables to the driver zone (probably under the carpet from the spare wheel void). I've got a pretty good idea of how to make a simple, foolproof lever with a positive open/closed action. Some people are really good at electronics and coding; I'm pretty good at fabricating simple things and dreaming up practical solutions. Anyway, I'll keep y'all posted with progress. The welding's the hardest bit- I don't have one of those! :)

Murray223

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 Calais wagon
Well I've finished my hi-tech actuator, which'll sit on the floor between the drivers seat & the door sill. All very agricultural, but I think it'll all work a treat. Photos on their way, and I'm sure they'll make people giggle at the simplesness. Looks like something out of the Thunderbirds puppet-like TV show... but if it's effective, everyone hears it & nobody sees it then I'm happy.