Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retrofitting Bimodal Exhaust on VF Commodore 6.0L

Lewy_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF CalaisV 6.0L Wagon
Hi All, has anyone seen the bimodal setup done this way? Both straight pipe and stock mufflers - i didnt know it could be done this way.

It is off an SS wagon.
Screenshot_20200608-174303_Gumtree.jpg
Screenshot_20200608-175204_Gumtree.jpg

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Lewy_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
That isn't a bi-modal system, that's a 'cut out' system, factory sound level or full noise.
Ahhhh. Thanks for that. So with a bi-modal muffler in the open position, it would still provide some muffling? Or would it also be full noise?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahhhh. Thanks for that. So with a bi-modal muffler in the open position, it would still provide some muffling? Or would it also be full noise?

Yes, bi-modal valve closes one outlet of the rear muffler, so with bi-modal open, it's 'factory muffled'.

Lewy_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, bi-modal valve closes one outlet of the rear muffler, so with bi-modal open, it's 'factory muffled'.
Sorry, other way around then. With it closed, is it going to be the same (or as loud) as a straight pipe like in the cut-out system? Or will the bimodal still muffle a but? Thanks again for clarifying all of this.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
@Lewy_88 With the factory bimodal’s open the exhaust is slightly muffled it kind of takes out the harshness of the exhaust if that makes sense.
With the cut outs that you pictured The exhaust exits before the mufflers and is REALLY LOUD easiest way to see how it’s going to sound is undo the mufflers and start the car.
I think you well find it sound ass

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sorry, other way around then. With it closed, is it going to be the same (or as loud) as a straight pipe like in the cut-out system? Or will the bimodal still muffle a but? Thanks again for clarifying all of this.

Bi-modal open = muffled.
Bi-modal closed = really muffled.

Lewy_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Lewy_88 With the factory bimodal’s open the exhaust is slightly muffled it kind of takes out the harshness of the exhaust if that makes sense.
With the cut outs that you pictured The exhaust exits before the mufflers and is REALLY LOUD easiest way to see how it’s going to sound is undo the mufflers and start the car.
I think you well find it sound ass
Yeah thanks for that. That's the info I was after. Am definitely leaning towards doing the bimodal mod.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Yeah thanks for that. That's the info I was after. Am definitely leaning towards doing the bimodal mod.

My impression is that bimodal systems allow a quieter option (closed) than was normal prior to the system being available.

I'd think the bimodal open is the same loudness as a standard system? If that's what you were after?

Unless they were able to make the open sound louder, as the system could be homologated while closed? VW style ;)
The other benefit is you can shut the system in the drone rev range, but have it noisy up top.

Lewy_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
My impression is that bimodal systems allow a quieter option (closed) than was normal prior to the system being available.

I'd think the bimodal open is the same loudness as a standard system? If that's what you were after?

Unless they were able to make the open sound louder, as the system could be homologated while closed? VW style ;)
The other benefit is you can shut the system in the drone rev range, but have it noisy up top.

I was under the impression that the two settings in the bimodal muffler were: standard sound, and louder sound. I have heard one in action on and SS Redline. Such an awesome idea.