Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Retrofitting Bimodal Exhaust on VF Commodore 6.0L

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I was under the impression that the two settings in the bimodal muffler were: standard sound, and louder sound. I have heard one in action on and SS Redline. Such an awesome idea.

I'm not sure, hence my post positing some questions.
It all depends what your calibrated level of "standard" is! Is it standard and loud, or quiet and standard...

I agree is an awesome invention, quiet for leaving early or just cruising, then loud when you want it. Mine certainly makes a huge difference at idle when open (HSV is tied to the driving mode, but can be made permanently open,not tried it yet!)

Lewy_88

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF CalaisV 6.0L Wagon
I'm not sure, hence my post positing some questions.
It all depends what your calibrated level of "standard" is! Is it standard and loud, or quiet and standard...

I agree is an awesome invention, quiet for leaving early or just cruising, then loud when you want it. Mine certainly makes a huge difference at idle when open (HSV is tied to the driving mode, but can be made permanently open,not tried it yet!)

Yes very true :) I have the 6.0L Calais and the stock mufflers are very much 'is that even a v8' level. I am making the assumption that the open setting on a bimodal would fix that. :) I might stay away from the cut out system that I posted above, even if it is fairly cheap.

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
I have a series 1 SSV and fitted the GTS 2.5” mid section with Holden bimodal’s and it’s easily twice as loud as the factory set up with the valves OPEN.
Then when you CLOSE the valve the car is quieter the the factory set up.
Honestly if I’m driving and come to a red light I have to check the car is still running

Hq King

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS 2 Magnum
Hi All,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on an electrical question I have because I am a little confused. I have purchased a set of VF Series II bimodal mufflers and have successfully prototypes a control board to open and close the valves. Now it comes to wiring my control box to the car. At first I simply wanted to find out how the VF Series II was wired. I have all that info now. The only thing is that my VF Series I seems to have fuses and relay installed that relate to the series II bimodal exhaust.

So, First I found the schematic for the bimodal exhaust as shown here.

And the Rear Fuse box layout as shown here.

And what I found is that the 20A fuse F17 and the exhaust relay are both installed on my Series I.
I have tested to fuse and there is power running through it and the relay pins 86 and 87 have Battery power and chassis ground as per the schematic. I don't know yet if pin 85 runs off to the BCM yet and I'm assuming pin 30 goes nowhere.

Has anymore had any experience with the bimodal exhaust and its wiring, and maybe explain why my series I was the exhaust relay and fuse installed?

Regards,
John

BTW.
Now just so you know, my Series I is probably one of the last made before Holden switched over to series II. So much so that a Carfacts history check on my VIN says it is a Series II with a 6.2L, but it is not. The Engine is definitely an L77 with AFM. So maybe some of the wiring was already changed before Series II went into full production.
Hey John I know this is old thread but hope you you c
Hi All,
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on an electrical question I have because I am a little confused. I have purchased a set of VF Series II bimodal mufflers and have successfully prototypes a control board to open and close the valves. Now it comes to wiring my control box to the car. At first I simply wanted to find out how the VF Series II was wired. I have all that info now. The only thing is that my VF Series I seems to have fuses and relay installed that relate to the series II bimodal exhaust.

So, First I found the schematic for the bimodal exhaust as shown here.

And the Rear Fuse box layout as shown here.

And what I found is that the 20A fuse F17 and the exhaust relay are both installed on my Series I.
I have tested to fuse and there is power running through it and the relay pins 86 and 87 have Battery power and chassis ground as per the schematic. I don't know yet if pin 85 runs off to the BCM yet and I'm assuming pin 30 goes nowhere.

Has anymore had any experience with the bimodal exhaust and its wiring, and maybe explain why my series I was the exhaust relay and fuse installed?

Regards,
John

BTW.
Now just so you know, my Series I is probably one of the last made before Holden switched over to series II. So much so that a Carfacts history check on my VIN says it is a Series II with a 6.2L, but it is not. The Engine is definitely an L77 with AFM. So maybe some of the wiring was already changed before Series II went into full production.
Hey John I have vf and am wanting to wire up a hsv bimodal air intake to the bimodal exhaust so they open at the same time. I was hoping you could help me out . I am not very electrically minded so you might have to explain in CAPITAL LETTERS .

Bowtie70SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 Pontiac G8 GT
I know this thread is old, do you have these available for sale? Thank you

Fergie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SSV RL Sedan, 2016 SSV RL Wagon
Hi Guys, I want to give this a go, is the HSV electrical bimodal motor & butter flys the same as VF2? thxs

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Bi-modal open = muffled.
Bi-modal closed = really muffled.
HSVs (at least on GenF) are different to that
they have 3 settings

PERF bimodal is fully open (ie NOT muffled) and NOISY at high revs (especially in my Tourer wagon)
SPORT bimodal is partially muffled but sounds ok
TOUR bimodal is quiet (well muffled) and this is the don't wake the neighbours @ 5AM setting