Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Retrofitting the Quadrajet on a VR V8

The Enforcer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L
Orright - I am bettin there will be some miffed EFI fans - this is not to discuss the politics of this.

Easy enough to get is the new dual plane spreadbore manifold and a new old stock Quadrajet

I am interested in fuel pressure regulation and the overview of the ECU - would retain that for spark curve management - and maybe some ideas of reprogramming it so it could just keep spark management under control?

are there other things to look out for - (auto box control?)

Chur :)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
By going carb, you will lose: IAC, TPS, MAP, IAT. You could tap the front of the manifold for coolant temp to ecu (if hole isn't pre existing).
Honestly you are cutting out too much that the ecu will have no idea what spark to command (it'll probably stay 10deg everywhere) and get very confused with the trans and when to shift.

If you were dead set on carb, then you need to chat to someone who is Very good with the delco ecu as they might be able to do something, or get a stand alone trans controller and spark only ecu (msd 6al? I dunno, I don't really carb)

The Enforcer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L
Surely MAP wouldn’t be hard to retain - could port MAP sensor to rear carb vacuum line (straight manifold line) - will check re manifold... (Harrop dual plane 99-MFD) which has 3 holes to front coolant channel (I reckon that’s where sensors and or those thermal vacuum switches would go)

TPS... hadn’t thought of, though should be doable (the Carby GQ patrol autos had an interesting TPS setup for auto)

aren’t familiar with IAC or IAT -

I’m fairly sure these are mafless - well I didn’t see a maf sensor.

but this is the good insights I look for in forums like this one

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yes they are mafless - map does all this work.
Silly me, yes you can plumb map as suggested.
Yes 3 holes on front of mani for:
Dash temp gauge
Ecu temperature input
Water bypass for water pump (5inch 90deg hose)

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
IAT - intake air temp.
Manifold might have a port for this on #5 runner.

IAC - intake air control.
You obviously won't need this, but it may keep throwing fault codes.

Have you checked if this is all legal where you live? Or are your intentions for off road only?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Use every sensor just don't use the Injector wires. Plug a tps in and tape it into the loom so it sees one but trips a tps error then you will get spark control instead of being locked on the idle spark table. unless you want to buy a bracket to fit gm tps they do make kits for holleys etc for a tps to be bolted on. It pretty much turns the ecu into a high end programmable ignition box

The Enforcer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L
Use every sensor just don't use the Injector wires. Plug a tps in and tape it into the loom so it sees one but trips a tps error then you will get spark control instead of being locked on the idle spark table. unless you want to buy a bracket to fit gm tps they do make kits for holleys etc for a tps to be bolted on. It pretty much turns the ecu into a high end programmable ignition box

it seems youre handle is appropriate... some mates here said, check this forum, that forum etc... they pointed to pcmhacking forum - which youre on...

over time i would like to het it where the CEL wont nag.

am looking at throttle cable setups atm... have cruise control module to consider in that setup as well.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Fault codes can be disabled where required for items that are no longer functional.

The Enforcer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L
I think TPS is important for gearbox control....

In a factory carby GQ 4.2 patrol it certaihly is.

i do want to make it functional in my case