Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

reusing original hose clamps

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Looking at replacing all the hoses on my vx, with the lpg system that makes 7 hoses, with 14 clamps.
Either the car has all the original hoses, and/or the original clamps have been reused.
1. How reuseable are the original clamps(they dont have a screw, just compression fit)? what goes wrong with them etc,do they lose their tension after being opened up once?

2. What is the best tool for opening them and refitting them with?, vicegrips, large pliers etc?

Im only interested in answers to the ^ and not how cheap it is to buy new clamps etc.
thankyou

Last edited:

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
New clamps are usally cheap if your talking about those ones similar to holding radiotor hoses etc.. i get new ones, i resued one for my afm and it came off oneday while i was driving.. the car cuts out and its auto.. lucky i was in a street doing about 20k and not faster..

better to be safe then sorry dude.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Looking at replacing all the hoses on my vx, with the lpg system that makes 7 hoses, with 14 clamps.
Either the car has all the original hoses, and/or the original clamps have been reused.
1. How reuseable are the original clamps(they dont have a screw, just compression fit)? what goes wrong with them etc,do they lose their tension after being opened up once?

2. What is the best tool for opening them and refitting them with?, vicegrips, large pliers etc?

Im only interested in answers to the ^ and not how cheap it is to buy new clamps etc.
thankyou

Commsirac

Are you talking about the type of clamp that has a section compressed into a sort of raised knot? Releasing them requires spreading this section to release the tension?

Or are you referring to the spring=type clamps that have their ends overlapping?

The spring types can be re-used safely. Multi=grips are the best bet for removing and replacing them.

If you are talking about the compressed type claimp, they are really only "oncers". I have recycled them when dealing with clamps on CV joints rubber boots, because there is not much internal pressure in the joint, but wouldn't chance it with cooling or pressurised gas systems because of the internal pressures that apply.

They can be re-used on low pressure joints - I use a pair of tile cutters held at 90 degrees to the clamp and gently squeeze the compression joint shut.

Hope we are talking about the same type of clamp.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Commsirac

Or are you referring to the spring=type clamps that have their ends overlapping?

The spring types can be re-used safely. Multi=grips are the best bet for removing and replacing them.

I think Im talking about those ^, to remove any confusion, here is a pic I found:
http://www.handymanlyness.com/archi...er_pump/GMC/V6/mxg6wp54a_jimmy_water_pump.jpg

Interesting there are pliers available for these type that have a ratchet mechanism to keep them open,
http://www.etoolcart.com/ProductImages/pictures/KD3252-s.jpg
I imagine they could be a bit awkward trying to keep pressure on the grips in awkward places

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Personally I don't like those type of clamps. I prefer the worm drive type.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Personally I don't like those type of clamps. I prefer the worm drive type.

can you elaborate on why you dont like them, that's what I want information on.
I never reuse the worm style ones myself as many of them "lose the thread" once used a second time.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I don't feel comfortable relying on a spring to hold the hose on. I would rather tighten a clamp so I know in my mind that it is tight and not having to hope the tension on the spring type clamp is enough.

Worm drive clamps are fine if you don't over tighten them in the first place. When used incorrectly they can have problems.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
I don't feel comfortable relying on a spring to hold the hose on. I would rather tighten a clamp so I know in my mind that it is tight and not having to hope the tension on the spring type clamp is enough..

Precisely my thoughts too, however, my aim here is to hear something objective about whether there is any real issue with the spring type ones......

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Actually, they were'nt the ones I was thinking of when describing them in my earlier post. I thought they might have been the spring steel circular cross section type of clip, which was pretty strong and held its tension well. The flat clamp pictured is not one of my favourites either and I don't like using them whereever internal pressure is present. They also rely on the hose being in good nick to work properly. If the hose is old and soft, the clamps are less effective.

I would certainly replace them.