Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reusing Welsh Plugs

Tristan Cupit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 2005
I'm just curious as to whether I can reuse the Welsh Plugs I've taken out of my block. Any help would be appreciated.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You could, but you shouldn't. There not meant to be reused. For the price of a few WP's it wouldn't be advisable, especially considering the effort to replace them once the engine is back in the car.

Tristan Cupit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 2005
You could, but you shouldn't. There not meant to be reused. For the price of a few WP's it wouldn't be advisable, especially considering the effort to replace them once the engine is back in the car.
You say for the price I shoushoud just replace,
What kind of price am I looking at?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Call Repco in Canberra and ask for a price. Sounds like you haven't removed them yet? The welsh plugs will be in the block.

Tristan Cupit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 2005
Call Repco in Canberra and ask for a price. Sounds like you haven't removed them yet? The welsh plugs will be in the block.
I have removed most of them, but as I started removing I thought to myself, oh god can you get new ones, but thank you.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
You'll probably find that they were stainless units originally fitted and those are damm expensive. just the one in the rear of the head is around $12.00 each in stainless.

Wouldn't touch steel ones in a fit, but the cheaper alternative to stainless is Brass.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Wouldn't touch steel ones in a fit, but the cheaper alternative to stainless is Brass.

Just be aware that most steel welch plugs are brass plated, try to get the genuine brass plugs.

Tristan Cupit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais 2005
Just be aware that most steel welch plugs are brass plated, try to get the genuine brass plugs.
Would repco have the genuine ones in stock, or do they usually have to order specific stuff like that in?