Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rev limiter

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
might b a stupid question but anyway do the buick v6s have a rev limiter? if they do what should it b?
im asking cause mine reved a bit over 6000rpm tonight on my way home from work. its an auto if that makes any differance.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
they do have a rev limiter, it's part of the ecu programing. i think it's suppose to be over 5000rpm but i could be wrong here, best to ask foamie, he know these memcals much better then me:thumbsup:

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
yeah they got a limiter, but it can be changed to whatever you want. (5700 or so standard)

you can also change it to a fast limiter so you don't headbutt the dashboard when you hit it by accident trying to accelerate !

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
So how r they changed because i accidently left it in 2nd and was accerating waiting for it 2 hit 3rd before i noticed it was manullay in 2 looked at the tacho and it was getting up 2 about 6300??

VN_Luke

ƃuoɹʍ ʇsnɾ sı sıɥʇ
Reaction score
Members Ride
Get in the ute
they're changed in the memcal...

out of cuiriosity, how did you NOT NOTICE the engine reving up to 6300rpm? !

Matt_vp

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy lumina v6 A4
i did notice it was reving so much i was just wondering why it wasn't changing what i didn't notice is that i had put into second not d. i dont really care what happens 2 this motor i have a fully rebuit one ready to bolt in but im using this motor till something happens to it and while i fit my sc14.
Matt

joesvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Wagon
6300. :eek:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
it could well be that your tacho isn't accurate, mine idles around 1000rpm on the tacho and it's never gone over 4900rpm as i hit the rev limiter. i've taken to using the shift light function on my G-tech when driving hard etc, first light set at 4800rpm, full lights at 5200rpm as these are well above the peak power point of the n/a engine

Q

QLD Calais

This same issue happend to me.. Coming home from work down my long drag strip of a road.. My Tacho went to 6000RPM!! And my Tacho is giving correct readings(I think, Mine idols @ like 800 or sumthing, a little below 1000) I was shitting coz ussually it bounces off 5500RPM right on the redline in my VR Calais Series II, But it went to 6000RPM without a hitch.. just kept screaming.