Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reveiews - Manifold spacer, TB and Chip

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
8-9k's per litre is crap ? What re you expecting, thats Corolla figures...........

MACE

Reaction score
I have a few ideas on the back burner, Although I'm not sure what I will do about the EGR. I might forget it and hope it goes away. At the new house I finally have a decent workshop again, so I'm thinking about getting a second hand Intake upper and lower, another spacer (maybe 25mm this time) and sitting down with the die grinder and sanding wheel to see what I can see.

Keep the EGR, and modify it that it's more active to improve fuel economy :)

I have weird ideas about fitting an extension pipe Inside the plenum, to increase inlet tract length. Might be viable. If nothing else I will do a full port match and relieve, open up the area behind the TB, and do something about the ends of the inlet runners (in the plenum). Maybe even get some second hand heads and go to town. I've been itching to try a pocket port on a v6.

I like that idea, of fitting extension pipes inside the manifold :D

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Huh ? I was getting 9-10 to the litre doing mostly highway driving - 60-100 kph when I worked brisbane southside. Drove 120 km a day and would get 5 + days out of a tank.

Driving to Gladstone from Brisbane (550Km one way pure highway, evening / night driving) I would routinely top 750 a tank. You don't have it bacwarkds do you - 8.5 / L is 11.8L per 100km . Not great at all.

Around the city I'm getting 480 - 520 out of about 63 litres

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Keep the EGR, and modify it that it's more active to improve fuel economy :)

I like that idea, of fitting extension pipes inside the manifold :D

try using some of that steel putty stuff. you can mold it and it hardens like steel. this way you can make some nice trumpets and get atleast another 25mm on your runner lenghts

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
You said 9 litres per 100ks for city driving, you confused the hell out of me now hehe.........

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Agreed! You're getting good fuel economy as it is! Wish I could ever get that sort of economy out of my V6 :cry:

best i ever got on a long trip (100km's +) was 6.8ltr/100km's. on my last open road trip i averaged 10/100km's and there was some serious touring going on. Rotorua to Auck in 2 hrs. the same trip would normally take 3hrs +

VN with bolt ons and a decent Tune (my tune) goes fairly good. even with 3.45 gears in the ass

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Got a better idea than putty.

The plenum is almost 1.5" thick around the ports for the intake runners. Going to machine that down from the inside to about 3/4" thick, in a rectangular 'plug' . Then I'm going to get some 10mm SS304 plate and get it laser cut to match the pattern of the runner end. Tack weld some SS pipe onto the plate and bolt it in. hey presto - trumpets. Then i can have the fun job of playing with trumpet shape and length, maybe even bending them towards the walls of the plenum then cutting the trumpet end at and angle back in towards the center of the plenum.

Anyone care to donate some machining skills and some dyno time ? I have the fluid dynamics and engineering ability to design and proto flow the trumpets, but I don't have much of a workshop.

Keep your cottin pickin fingers off this idea Greg it's my precious ! :)

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Update.

Got a few minutes peace and quiet in the 110 Zone up the coast last night to run a few 0-100 times.

Best Run

60 foot 2.49
100m 6.43
200m 9.66 @125.54
0-100KPH 6.64
Equates to 145 RWKW at a 1550KG base weight for VT and allowing 200KG for driver and fuel, and crap (not over generous - I weigh over 140KG myself).

worst run
60 foot 2.52
100m 6.57
200m 9.87 @ 118.99
100KPH 7.04 seconds

i guess it's ok for now.