Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reveiews - Manifold spacer, TB and Chip

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
measured how? the VT is a slug, the 0-100km/h seem a bit quick. even with a few mods

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Same old same old. Apple Iphone and PocketDyno Software. I make no claims on it being accurate :)

proabably more than just a few mods now. Full exhaust & extractors. Totally reworked auto box. 1.98 rockers, manifold spacer, TB, CAI, Chip to suit TB (not a performance tune).

More to come too. Rework the exhaust to a 3" single, 3.7 diff and a Raptor V. As the budget allows. (yeah right)

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Same old same old. Apple Iphone and PocketDyno Software. I make no claims on it being accurate :)

proabably more than just a few mods now. Full exhaust & extractors. Totally reworked auto box. 1.98 rockers, manifold spacer, TB, CAI, Chip to suit TB (not a performance tune).

More to come too. Rework the exhaust to a 3" single, 3.7 diff and a Raptor V. As the budget allows. (yeah right)

i was just looking at the 60foot times. i'm doing 2.3sec 60 foot times to get 15.2 sec 1/4 mile times on Gtech. 6.8sec 0-60 times. i'm doing it with a manual so it's harder to get it moving then with a auto. i had bad wheel spin right through 1st gear. must try it on my new tyres when i get my vac leak fixed. with a slow 60ft time it makes it very hard to get a high MPH or KM/H unless you have bulk power to getthat top end speed up. in general, if you can drop .1 from your 60ft time, yo uwill drop .2 for the full 1/4run.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Hmm.. Fair calls.

I do run 235/45 Falken Fk452's which are sticky as all hell. On my best run I got the tiniest bit of wheelspin - more likely dust on the road than anything else. Wheelspin is never an issue for me. Manual selecting gears right at the cutout works best - I get the tiniest bit of wheelspin into second - more often than not accompanied by a bit of belt slip.

The VT goes pretty hard from about 3500 up.

I think the 'box plays a big part. Carbon fibre bands, beast stally, stage 2 shift kit and corvette servo means the changes are fast.

I have run worse times than the ones above I just dont share em with you :p

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
that was on my old setup with only 14 inch factory stock wheels with the shittiest 195/70/14 as a poor excuse for tyres. no doubt my current setup is faster but i don't want to kill my suspect clutch until it's time for replacement. i now have accelera 234/45/17's on and traction is 100% better

MACE

Reaction score
Got a better idea than putty.

The plenum is almost 1.5" thick around the ports for the intake runners. Going to machine that down from the inside to about 3/4" thick, in a rectangular 'plug' . Then I'm going to get some 10mm SS304 plate and get it laser cut to match the pattern of the runner end. Tack weld some SS pipe onto the plate and bolt it in. hey presto - trumpets. Then i can have the fun job of playing with trumpet shape and length, maybe even bending them towards the walls of the plenum then cutting the trumpet end at and angle back in towards the center of the plenum.

Anyone care to donate some machining skills and some dyno time ? I have the fluid dynamics and engineering ability to design and proto flow the trumpets, but I don't have much of a workshop.

Keep your cottin pickin fingers off this idea Greg it's my precious ! :)

Hey Andrew,

It's certainly is a good idea one that would warrant making

Update.

Got a few minutes peace and quiet in the 110 Zone up the coast last night to run a few 0-100 times.

Best Run

60 foot 2.49
100m 6.43
200m 9.66 @125.54
0-100KPH 6.64
Equates to 145 RWKW at a 1550KG base weight for VT and allowing 200KG for driver and fuel, and crap (not over generous - I weigh over 140KG myself).

worst run
60 foot 2.52
100m 6.57
200m 9.87 @ 118.99
100KPH 7.04 seconds

i guess it's ok for now.

Got to be happy with that time considering the bolt ons :)

that was on my old setup with only 14 inch factory stock wheels with the shittiest 195/70/14 as a poor excuse for tyres. no doubt my current setup is faster but i don't want to kill my suspect clutch until it's time for replacement. i now have accelera 234/45/17's on and traction is 100% better

Agreed! traction is not crash hot with those tyres I know as I have them on my daily atm Can make for some "interesting driving" to say the least.

Cheers
Steve

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Agreed! traction is not crash hot with those tyres I know as I have them on my daily atm Can make for some "interesting driving" to say the least.

Cheers
Steve

haha, traction isn't a word i'd use with 14's on a VN commodore. no wonder people wrapped em around power polls when they came out. dangerous comes to mind. ice skating is a better term. it rains a fair bit here in NZ. 14's with rain is just a lottery.

i spun em once right through first gear and still did a 15.4 unfortunatly the clutch is only really good for 1 or 2 runs before it starts to slip. with better tyres and good traction that will only get worse.

time for HD clutch soon me thinks with upcoming upgrades. i'll be staying away from brass button/puck clutches however as i want the T5 to last. rather replace a clutch plate every year then a gearbox. maybe turf the LSD for minispool as well:p

VZ_SV6_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 VZ SV6 A5
Fitted a set of manifold insulators to my SV6 over the weekend.

Have been dying to do it for a while, as i bought them while i was working in oz and have only just arrived back in NZ.

Easy to fit - didnt come with instuctions, but as long as you have a few brain cells and know which end of a spanner to hold its really easy. Worst part is waiting for the silicone to cure, until you can take it for a strop.

Results seem good, no noticable torque increase but throttle response is greatly improved. Getting a tune done thurs, so will hopefully see some good results from the combination.

Cheers Steve

MACE

Reaction score
Fitted a set of manifold insulators to my SV6 over the weekend.

Have been dying to do it for a while, as i bought them while i was working in oz and have only just arrived back in NZ.

Easy to fit - didnt come with instuctions, but as long as you have a few brain cells and know which end of a spanner to hold its really easy. Worst part is waiting for the silicone to cure, until you can take it for a strop.

Results seem good, no noticable torque increase but throttle response is greatly improved. Getting a tune done thurs, so will hopefully see some good results from the combination.

Cheers Steve

Hey Steve,

Thanks for your feedback glad to here that it all went well :yeah:

These spacers are easy to install, however for people who want to read up what is exactly required check out the link before for our online fitting instructions.

http://www.maceengineering.com.au/ALLOYTEC_MI_INSTALLATION_.pdf

The increase in throttle response is related to the increase in torque production. If you had a chance to take the car to the track you'll probably find that you'll shave around .2 of a second of your 1/4 mile time.

Please keep us posted with the results from the tune :)

Cheers
Steve :thumbsup:

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Hows this one going ???

By blocking off the EGR valve, doesn't the engine and exhaust heat up more that it should ?

Mace, what is the purpose of the blanking plug on the vacuum hose to throttle body ?