Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

reverse camera, dvd player and audio install.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Where would be the best place to get this kind of work done in NSW (sydney)?
I want the reverse camera and dvd player to work/play of the oem screen of my ute (series 1 ssv).

I have been to a few places (bricks and mortar shop fronts) for a look but haven't been happy with their preceved workman ship or customer service.
I have spoken with Greg from asr, who took the time to call me back and have a lengthy conversation over the phone but he had not ever delt with the reverse camera/dvd playing through the oem screen.
Any help much appreciated.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 MY11 Holden VE SSV Ute
Mate have a chat to Justin Stark at Ultimate Conversion Wiring

Ultimate Conversion Wiring - Home

He helped me get the reverse camera enabled and change the red to blue on my IQ unit, but has plenty of experience with the Blaupunkt units. And I'm pretty sure he will come to you to do it as well.

DOS_SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SSV UTE
How much did your reverse camera set you back?

Grouse-mouse

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
ss
..if you have 'jaycar' up there then they are good....you could try jb hi fi..they have fitting svce...but its hit n miss with fitters...they either know what theyre doin or they dont

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Bought a $13 dollar camera off eBay, and got Justin at UWC to enable it. For it and the IQ changed to blue was $150. So averaged out it would be less than $100 for it enabled and camera.

I fitted it myself, just have to install the camera, tap camera power into reverse light power and earth to earth near taillight. Run RCA wire up side of tray and into cabin, then next to wiring harness on the side of IQ. Cut other RCA end of and splice into the video plug on the IQ.

I have finished pictures in my build thread on here if you wanna see the camera and how it looks on the screen.

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
When you say enable it (the camera), is that so the camera works at speeds more then 4kmph (VIM)?

I have had a meeting with Marty at fhrx studios, waiting for him to get back to me on monday with a complete quote but so far we are at over $1500 in labour charges to install some spilts, 2 amps and a woofer. This is just labour! Add onto that fab work, sound deadning and components, it seems this is going to be a very expensive exercise...

From what I've seen and read, his work does seem to be the best in Australia, so im trying to convince myself its worth it.

Wongy295

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 (LPG)
$1500 for labour...?! No one is that good, IMO.

I got a set of splits, a set of coaxials, a four channel amp and a slim line sub/amp combo for $1450 installed!

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Yeah its a lot just for labour but there is apparently quite a few hours involved installing sound deadening to the inner and outer door skins and around the cabin, making custom speaker baffles to fit speakers without drilling any holes and running cables properly and professionally.
I find it interesting how one Installer tells me the amps will have to be installed under the passanger seat and he cant guarantee there will be no unwanted alternator sound, while Marty has told me they never install amps on that side of the veichal due to the battery cable running on that side...

He said they'll install the entire system with out drilling a hole in anything on the car. It appears to be a very professional business, I dont mind paying for top quality, especially when you can see and hear it.

SUP3RST4R_DJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mate Marty is the man to go to, I buy all my gear off him and he is very very professional and straight up. They may cost more in labour but they are worth it, I'm booked in there for August to get a sub enclosure custom built and processor installed as well as them teaching me how to tune it. If you look on their website their work is top notch, right down to neat and tidy wiring, not a spaghetti mess hidden behind the trim.

As for the camera. Series 2 with IQ don't need VIM disabled for the camera to work, however Justin at the website I linked in my first reply can disable it. He has the same tech 2 Holden use (quite expensive gear) so he plugs that in and can edit what you need. However mine being IQ instead of blaupunkt I don't know what he charges for blaupunkt units. Bests to email or call him.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
For the earlier Series I head units there is a later firmware version that supports the reverse camera video input.
I must profess that I know very little about this feature, as the Series I head units that I played with were all early models (And early firmware that didn't support the reverse camera option).

In terms of enabling the VIM (Video in motion) RCA Input, and reverse camera programming, definitely send Justin (DoubleDip) from Ultimate Conversion Wiring a message.
Not only does he have a Tech2, he has pretty much reverse engineered much of the VE Series I and Series II Head unit (And cluster) stuff to the point where he can now upload custom startup screens to the Series I headunit.

Think this sort of level of customised stuff that he is able to do now.

(He is one of the very few people in the world that can do this sort of custom stuff for the VE).

Last edited by a moderator: