Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse Camera Guide Lines

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I thought the lines and stuff are just in a later firmware, so just an update at a dealer should sort it?
Not sure if it is just an update... as many have said they cant get such, just like speed warnings, etc...

Holden (& GM for that matter) consider features something you should pay for, ideally via buying a new car since they have no mechanism for buying feature updates on old cars (for the most).

Holden/GM seem not in the habit of releasing new features via firmware updates. Heck they are glacially slow in even releasing fault fixed via firmware updates (if ever they do) :confused:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Not sure if it is just an update... as many have said they cant get such, just like speed warnings, etc...

Holden (& GM for that matter) consider features something you should pay for, ideally via buying a new car since they have no mechanism for buying feature updates on old cars (for the most).

So Holden/GM seem not in the habit of releasing new features via firmware updates. Heck they are glacially slow in even releasing fault fixed via firmware updates (if ever they do) :confused:

well you do pay for the software update so there's that?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
?
I must be missing something as the only software you can buy for VF MyLink is was map updates.
And from what i've understood, if your car didn't have speed camera alerts, then a map update wont magically give you speed camera alerts.

Everything else was software fixes to remove the faults that their contrators/enginners couldn't resolve during developement.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Hi long time lurker first post
I have read through this thread has anyone tried to upgrade their vf 1 evoke with reversing lines my car is a late 2014 model
2013, Yes, tried, succeeded. Just spell out the fact that you want the unit upgraded not maps... It also added a stop reading button to the text message read out screen...

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon

Holden/GM seem not in the habit of releasing new features via firmware updates. Heck they are glacially slow in even releasing fault fixed via firmware updates (if ever they do) :confused:
Holden didn't want dealers to have the cost of installing the firmware update, because Holden (GM possibly) had implemented a really stupid method of firmware update that takes disproportionately long & which has a high chance of failure hence needing to start again. Time spent by the tech doing this sort of thing is time said tech can't be earning money ...

Hence the general policy was "no firmware updates unless something goes wrong & it's needed". And I guess they couldn't charge for it, because it's supposed to be only for fixing stuff that's broken, not for new features.

The speed warnings thing is different, due to I-don't-know-what in a VF it can't be enabled without hacking around with something which the Holden dealer doesn't have access to &/or doesn't usually change during a firmware update. However the reversing lines come with a firmware update from late 2014 or thereabouts (I'm guessing, but our September 2014 MY14 didn't originally have the reversing lines yet a December 2014 MY15 did), and that can be applied to any VF.

The problem will be in convincing a dealer to do the firmware update, as it's only been treated as a maintenance-when-required thing rather than a paid thing (I guess you'd need to be already giving them money for a major service for them to consider doing it out of warranty - or offer them some cash even though it probably doesn't have an official price - wonder if it has an official time-estimate-to-install?).

I don't think so, I think it was only intended for fixing faults & hence was usually only done when you complained about a problem when you were getting your car fixed or serviced ... although I reckon some dealers would have taken some $$ in return for an update. :)

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
well all this aside i think it's time for the OP to ring around some dealers and find out- we already have @Forg in the thread saying theirs was added via an update. So if no one believes that then i dunno how to convince anyone.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
I got mine added about 4years ago. MY14 SSV ute.
It was still under new car warranty.
I told the dealer that I had a problem with the phone pairing, which was a common problem at the time.
They installed a software upgrade which included the guide lines.
I find them extremely useful and also very accurate too.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Yeah I only even asked about getting the latest firmware installed because JustCommodores had informed me that I could get those reversing guidelines by having the firmware upgrade installed ... without JustCommodores I probably wouldn't have known to ask. :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden didn't want dealers to have the cost of installing the firmware update, because Holden (GM possibly) had implemented a really stupid method of firmware update that takes disproportionately long & which has a high chance of failure hence needing to start again. Time spent by the tech doing this sort of thing is time said tech can't be earning money ...

Hence the general policy was "no firmware updates unless something goes wrong & it's needed". And I guess they couldn't charge for it, because it's supposed to be only for fixing stuff that's broken, not for new features.
Don’t disagree that what you say is fact but it ain’t an excuse to screw customers.

Business have options when designing their widgets so their poor business choice and stupid update mechanism shouldn't be accepted by anyone... If the widget it’s broken, which it is by virtue of the update to resolve faults, then they should roll it out and the customer expecatation should be that they roll it out... One shouldn’t have to ask and ask again for updates to fix known faults. Firmware updates should be done as a matter of normal service...

Heck, updates should be downloadable by vehicle owners and self installable... Such isn’t rocket science after all. Phone manufacturers and phone companies manage push updates as does Tesla... Downloadable updates are even easier...

And if a manufacturer wants to roll feature updates with their fault corrections, I won’t complain, just don’t make me beg for problems that need fixing where the fix already exists.

tigerpm7

Gotta love the VZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Commodore Executive MY06
Hi guys,
Just purchased a 2013 VF MY 14 Evoke Sportwagon, July 2013 build.
There are no guidelines on the reverse screen.
I contacted a Holden (GM) dealership to get a software update and the service manager told me it is not guaranteed the lines will be there after the update and it would cost me.......... a ridiculous $440-. Seriously, I consider this a rip off, especially as it's not guaranteed the lines would show after the update.
Would anyone have any suggestions?
The reverse camera is tricky as it is placed on the side of the boot handle, it's not in the middle.
Cheers.