Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse camera power

PlenumBiscuit

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commodore
Ive rigged up the camera and can have it working BUT when i put it into reverse the camera doesnt display up then drop out when i change out of reverse.

Anyways i read the Pioneer stereo manual and turns out theres an extra violet/white wire in the stereo plug that requires a signal. All good, the rca yellow cable has an little extra side wide that ive put from the reverse power wire near light. So thats fine

but, my dilemma is powering the actual camera. I figured down the rear of car one thing that has ongoing power is the boot open pusher button on the boot lid. Wired it up black to black, red to red. All works great.

But when i screw in the boot button pusher, the screw hole seems to have an additional metal contact, and when screwed in, the earth shuts off my camera power? Like theres a double earth thing going on and tripping out camera power,

Anyways in short whats an alternative power source line in the rear of the car? That i can power my rear camera too? That is constantly on?

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Just use the Reversing lights supply, as mentioned, Splice in to it at the loom near the boot hinge.
or
Configure a miniature 12v relay to fire up the Reverse Camera.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Autobarn fit a camera for $150, if you don't end up figuring it out.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Powered of the reverse light. That is tapped in at the reverse wire in tail light loom and runs through to the front.
RCA from camera to headunit in the front.

Camera also needs to be earthed to body in the back.