Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse flushing radiator.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Hi Guys, can I effectively reverse flush my radiator in the car? I am concerned that disconnecting the transmission lines at the radiator might disturb the seals on the side of the radiator. The hoses aren't that old (4 - 5 years maybe) but they feel pretty hard and inflexible like they'll be hard to get off the barb.
I've noticed the gauge getting higher on hotter days last summer during extended climbs and wanting to do a few basic preventative things before next summer hits.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I have a 5 litre and just take off the bottom hose(might need to cut it off) and backflush with a garden hose. I flush in both directions to free up the mud and crud. Refill with the proper concentration of coolant - maybe erring on towards bit stronger to get a higher boiling point (see the side of the bottle)- I hate the engine boiling for any reason in the bush.
Check your fan- my biggest problem with a V8 is getting a good viscous fan coupling- second hand AC Delco originals are generally better when the cooling system's highly loaded than most modern replacements.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
VP Rob has a Buick V6. Rob I'd be inclined to replace the rad if you suspect it's blocked. Stock V6 rads are chuck away item these days. If your having overheating issues it's probably an airflow problem. When you refill the cooling system and say you would normally use a 50/50 mix, run it at 70 water 30 concentrate it will make the cooling system more efficient. Not sure how VP's trans lines attach to the rad but if they are like VR, chop them off and fit some new hose. They weep after a while when the hoses get rock hard.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yip like was said, cheap enough to replace and also while your at it replace heater tap and flush out your heater from the bottom up. And for a few bucks more change the thermostat and if you want water pump if its old.