Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse light bulb holder, ute

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
I sometimes cheat by using a light touch on the brakes if i need extra light.
Yeah with that thing with ALL 6 lighting up while reversing, all you need to do is cut the wires going to the positive side of the bulbs and fit in a diode in that place where you cut the wire.. and an extra one running from each of the bulb side to the reverse light wire (about 30 minute job).. The brake lights and indicators will still work normally as they supposed to still.. diodes are basically devices that only allow the power to go thru them one way, but not the other way.. which makes this possible. I can draw a connection diagram for you if you want to do the all 6 lighting up at same time thing..

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sure that would really appreciated.

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
Ok thanks for that. I was thinking that the single post bulb wasn't full wattage. I will leave it as is then. There are two wires in the indicator and reverse one is ground i suspect and the other is positive. Diff being that the contact plate on the holder is just on one side on the indicator and reverse holder. The LEDs are putting out more light but less than what I had hoped for. May need to eventually wire in a square LED flood type set up.
Yeah the single post 21W bulb and the dual post 21W/5W (the 21W side) are identical with light output and power etc.. What you can do is what i will be doing to my reverse lights LOL... that being fitting in 50W LEDs chip (see pics) in each reverse light reflector with a round CPU heatsink behind the light with fan on the back of heatsink.. But yeah you gotta remove the original bulb holder and cut section of the back of the reverse lights reflector to fit these things in place. But yeah.. talking about bright reverse lights LOL

Attachments

• s-l1600 (11).jpg
    s-l1600 (11).jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 99
  • s-l1600 (12).jpg
    s-l1600 (12).jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 96

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
Here you go, just keep in mind that they are rated at 3A max and your fuses for indicators or brake lights are i think 15 or 20A.... so if you short circuit the bulb wires for indicators or brake lights, sure the fuse will blow, but you will stuff up the diodes regardless and will need to replace the faulty ones if that happens. The way they stuff up is that the damaged one will conduct voltage in both directions (not just one way as it does when it's good) and the way you'll know it's stuffed is that your brake lights will flash when you put indicators on or your indicators will come on when you put your brakes on LOL so just take care not to short circuit the wires while the lights are on...

Btw you can get 10 of them for $1 if you're in no rush due to slow shipping.. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10Pcs-1...=item214f482c54:g:MEgAAOSwSkxbNdnK:rk:43:pf:0

Attachments

• RL1001.JPG
    RL1001.JPG
    65.1 KB · Views: 121
Last edited:

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
Just remember that it's important where you put the load resistors in this case.. the way they are in the diagram, the current coming from reverse lights switch can't get to the resistors (so they're unused for this purpose) but if you connect them after the diodes (on the bulbs side of diodes) then you'll get current going into the load resistors as well and will put way too much load on your reverse lights switch. Same thing if you would decide to put the standard bulbs back in instead of the LEDs.. all the 6 bulbs will still come on, but you're looking at 21W x 6 = 126W going thru your reverse lights switch... (your standard lowbeam headlights are only 55W x 2 = 110W) so if you're putting bulbs back in, use a relay to do the job (as on 1st pic here) so your reverse lights switch doesn't get overloaded. Also, using diodes there is approx 0.6V loss within the diode (so instead of 12V you'll get 11.4V on the bulbs) which is not enough to effect the brightness of the LED's but may slightly reduce brightness of standard bulbs... so to avoid that and to do away with the diodes altogether (while still having the same result of all 6 lights coming on in reverse) you'd need to connect them as in the 2nd pic using 4x dual throw automotive relays (or 2x dual pole-dual throw relays.. or a single relay that is 4 pole-dual throw... these are non automotive relays) you can search on ebay for "DPDT" relays or "4PDT" relays, obviously 12 or 14V ones, with the pole rating of 10-16A... Hope this helps you or anyone else wanting to do same.

Attachments

• RL1002.JPG
    RL1002.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 113
  • RL1003.JPG
    RL1003.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 109