Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse light bulb holder, ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So I bought LED replacement bulbs to try and improve the light output on my reverse lights and the globe wouldn't fit. Are they supposed to have a single post globe or twin? Trying to work out if mine has been altered and I need to find a new holder that takes a single post globe. One side the globe went in and the other it would not. Just no use me heading to the wreckers and finding out the wrong one is the side that takes a single post as a replacement holder will not actually help.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Look inside the holder....1 post only has a single contact point, where a twin post one has 2 contact points....I suspect it should only be a single

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah one fited one didn't the locating lugs slots on the passenger side are offset the driver side was fine.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah that is the issue. One side is two pin one side is not. Im trying to figure out which one has been altered.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Cool i will head to the wreckers and pull a single pin socket from the reverse light, and fit the second LED bulb i have.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Cool i will head to the wreckers and pull a single pin socket from the reverse light
Indicator bulb holder should be the same.

I am planning to fit a small 12v waterproof worklight under the rear of my VS wagon. It won't be visible from the rear and pointing to light up the ground when reversing. I do have a rear camera fitted but can't see sh!t at night.

Blackwolf101

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator 215
So I bought LED replacement bulbs to try and improve the light output on my reverse lights and the globe wouldn't fit. Are they supposed to have a single post globe or twin? Trying to work out if mine has been altered and I need to find a new holder that takes a single post globe. One side the globe went in and the other it would not. Just no use me heading to the wreckers and finding out the wrong one is the side that takes a single post as a replacement holder will not actually help.
The bulbs with 2 solder pins on bottom are only for brake lights and park lights (combined in one bulb) so these are basically 2 bulbs in one.. one of the bottom pins connects to the thicker fillament inside which is the 21W brake light and the other bottom pin connects to the thinner fillament inside which is the 5W park light. The reason why the small side pins on the metal cyliner part of the body of the bulb are offset (one higher, the other lower) is so that the bulb can only be fitten in place one way, so that the brake light comes on when you brake and the park light comes on when you turn lights on, and not the other way around. The bulb holder that you say is for your reverse light, which has the offset pins and 2 contacts on bottom would actually be for the brake/park light, not for the reverse light. So it's possible that you may have the reverse light bulb holder in the wrong place on the back of the light. The bulbs and bulb holders with single solder contact (on base of bulb) and only one contact at base of the actual holder are always for either indicator OR reverse ligh, both are identical 21W bulbs.. these also do not have the small side pins offset, as it is irrelevant which way they go into the bulb holder.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The bulb holder that you say is for your reverse light, which has the offset pins and 2 contacts on bottom would actually be for the brake/park light, not for the reverse light. So it's possible that you may have the reverse light bulb holder in the wrong place on the back of the light.

Well I guess that could be possible but since I have two reverse lights shining out of the clear section on the housing, when reverse is engaged, I am pretty sure the holder has replaced and not switched around, just saying. All the other lights function as they should.