Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse lockout

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
Last time I was at Heathcote, would do burnout, then the car wouldn’t go into reverse. Car is manual.

Would have to get pushed back or turn the car fully off and restart.

The last few runs I made sure I didn’t go past.

I’ve run it before and had no issues. And during normal driving since it hasn’t done it.

Anyone else had this happen?

LS1SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline.1970 Dodge R/T Challenger 440 six pack.
You would have heated the clutch up to an extent that it expanded so was still slightly engaged hence it wouldn’t go into reverse when it cooled and contracted you could get reverse as normal,a slipping clutch will do this all the time.

villn808

Reaction score
Members Ride
You would have heated the clutch up to an extent that it expanded so was still slightly engaged hence it wouldn’t go into reverse when it cooled and contracted you could get reverse as normal,a slipping clutch will do this all the time.

Ah ok, makes sense. the clutch is a Mantic twin plate. Never had any issues with it slipping. Will keep the burnout short next time.

Gmac 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV-R Manual PBM Ute
I once, in my VE SSVR, had a situation where I couldn't back out of a parking spot as it wouldn't go into reverse. From memory it took lots of trying and turning the ignition off and on. No burnouts involved though. By the way, I don't know that many manual owners know this and it's not necessarily relevant but, VE's and VF's if turned off in neutral or a forward gear cannot be put in reverse (for parking) without restarting the car. Reverse is locked out. Holden dealer didn't know and I'm still perplexed as to why.

Lacksballs

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
VK Group C Replica, 1995 VR Sedan
My understanding is that: with the ignition "ON" battery voltage is supplied directly to the reverse inhibit solenoid. At forward speeds above 5 km/h the PCM grounds the control circuit of the reverse inhibit solenoid. This energises the solenoid and mechanically blocks the shift lever from going into the REVERSE position.

Basically a big/heavy spring pushes the piston out to stop the selection of reverse when the vehicle is moving forwards above 5kph! I'm guessing not that I've done it but if you were heavy handed enough you potentially could overcome the spring tension & select reverse????

Mark NT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Any idea where a fuse might be or if there is one. My solenoid has no power at the plug for it and of course it takes a whole lot of effort to get into reverse. Ok 1 minute go to select reverse again and nothing.