Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

reverse sensors stopped working

haboob

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE Omega
Hey all, i have a 2009 VE omega, i got in the car this morning and realised that the reverse sensors were not working any ideas as to why this may be happening also there is no towbar fitted on the car.

mr_s

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina 07
oh F*ck no... dont tell me that... I have reverse parking sensors on mine too.
OP, if you rectify the problem, please let us know. Also, I think the forum regulars might want more info:
-when it happened; have you changed anything since it worked last; has it happened before etc, etc

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Possibly a failed park assist module.

The sensors will also be disabled if a sensor is damaged. Minor bumps can kill the sensors.

haboob

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE Omega
It only recently happened, i got in the car and it just stopped working, nothing has been changed and has never happened before. Ive checked the fuses and they all seem to be alright, i havnt hit anything and the sensors seem to look ok. Ricey where would i find the park assist module? Would that be in the boot on the driver side behind the lining?
Thanks

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Rear parcel shelf, have to remove rear seats and parcel shelf carpeted trim.

Really need to check for DTC's with a scan tool before pulling the car apart.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Just a quick question here,

Is the park assist the sound only version (I.E. there is no display on the centre colour LCD screen, the system just beeps at you),
or is it the full beans with the centre screen display and sound ?

If its the sound only version, the module wont be connected on the bus.
(Its just a stand alone device that is connected to the reverse light power feed, and the rear sensors, and turns on when reverse is selected.
(They can have override switches if you have the factory towpack fitted).

It may be a simple case of the speaker being blown, the module has been accidentally switched off, no power going to the unit, or the unit is faulty.
(Luckily these units are easily diagnosed).

If you have the full beans version like what is fitted to Calais V models, then these are connected to the SW Can, so they have the ability to throw DTCs.
Im having trouble with mine, but thanks to RICeY, and some excellent suggestions regarding the modules commonly dying, I am pretty sure in my case the module has died.
(I have replaced my module with one from a wrecked senator, and before park assist was intermittently working when it was cold, now it is not working at all).

Which kinda suggests that I either have another dud module, or the module needs to be programmed for my car.

The Intermittently working bit with my old module is definitely temperature related, so I have the module out, and I am going to try and reflow solder the b@$t@rd and see if I can get it to work again.

Hopefully some of this information may help you, or others that may face the same problem.
Cheers

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Havent done one in a while but from memory you do have to program the park assist module after fitting.

icetechaus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SPORTSWAGON
This may seem like a silly question but is your handbrake switch working? If the module thinks that the handbrake is on it won't beep.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Thanks again Ricey for your invaluable help !!!!!! :beer chug:

If only we could bottle your knowledge, then we would have a beverage even better than beer !
Cheers and thanks again for your help !

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Most welcome