Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reverse split cam

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
By memory the cam (Crane solid) was about 240 @ 0.050" on 108 L/C, pretty lumpy and had TRW pistons 11.5:1 comp and could only get full advance on Avgas, (when you could buy at the pump in some servos) it'd ping a bit on Super. The 750 DP worked well and Cleveland's sound great at 7000rpm! It had a Borg Warner single rail 4 speed and blew it up about 6 times until we fixed it with a top loader. That 351 was the fastest car I'd driven at the time and I wonder today how much power it really made compared with a stock LS3?

There was a bloke with a 340 auto trans Charger was "king of the kids" of unofficial drag racing for $20 each, winner got $40. We lined him up with the XD one night, I drove it and smoked it off the line and the Charger beat us by about 4 car lengths, but I reckon the 351 was faster but couldn't get off the line against a well driven automatic.

I run a Top Loader behind my Cleveland, it's a rough box particularly when cold but it has enough strength for what I need, I also have one mated to the 350SBC in my Torana as it was the only cost effective strong box with readily available parts at the time of the build..

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I run a Top Loader behind my Cleveland, it's a rough box particularly when cold but it has enough strength for what I need, I also have one mated to the 350SBC in my Torana as it was the only cost effective strong box with readily available parts at the time of the build..

The top loaders can be strengthend fairly well with aftermerket parts. The shifter can be upgraded with billet links too.