Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Reversing camera and VIM fitted - How to

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Hi guys.

Just installed a reversing camera setup in my VE SS-V and learned a lot doing it so thought it might be useful info for others.

The Commodore has a huge blind spot at the back with the high boot and huge fin which makes it a bit dangerous backing sometimes and also quite difficult to back onto a trailer coupling.
I back into my drive which involves backing through a gate and around a blind 90 degree corner where kids often play or leave their stuff lying around.

What I wanted was:
- The camera to display on the head unit display
- The camera and display to activate automatically when put in reverse
- The head unit to automatically switch back to whatever it was set on perviously (CD, Radio, Ipod etc) after reversing
- A very clear image and ability to see towbar for backing onto trailer couplings etc.
- A very discrete camera that was not too obvious.

= The head unit display:
The SS-V has the Blaupunkt head unit with the screen so I wanted it to show the view from the reversing camera on that screen.
To do this the camera is hooked into the rear aux video port.
The big issue with doing that however is that the rear aux on the screen cuts out as soon as you go more than about 4km/hr (vehicle in motion function) which is way to slow.
To get around that you need to flash the radio to remove that function and to do that I used the VIM kit from JHP. After a lot of research I came to the conclusion that using the JHP VIM and Auto switch system was the easiest and most reliable system I could get by mail order and sent to NZ. Its a bit expensive especially when NZ customs adds GST onto it but well worth it.

Flashing the head unit and fitting the video in cable is simply a matter of removing the lower dash covers and glove box to give you access to the right hand side of the head unit and the loom connector on the left hand side behind the glove box where you plug in the appropriate cables, relay and VIM Unit etc. That part of the job took a bit under 20 mins. The main plug behind the glovebox was clipped behind a strut so you need to pop out the holding clip to get at it.

Alternatives to using the factory head unit screen and for those who don't have one, is to hook the video feed from the camera into a GPS screen with video in or purchase a screen specifically for the camera ($300 to $400 with a basic camera). You then just hit a button on the screen to view the camera feed as you reverse. Obviously if you use one of these options you don't need to install the VIM etc but you do end up with an extra screen mounted on the dash which is a magnet for thieves.

= Auto Reverse Switching:
Part of the kit is a auto reverse switching unit that automatically switches to rear aux for the camera when put in reverse and then switches back to the previous source when you go out of reverse gear. This switch means you don't have to press the aux button to see the camera every time you back up.

= The Camera:
I learned a lot about cameras for backing.
The first camera I tried was a $40 cheapie CMOS camera. Absolute rubbish.
CCD cameras give a far better image than CMOS, cope with high contrast like shadows far better and even without LEDs for night time produce a better clearer image at night.
You also need to make sure that the camera itself reverses the image so it is the right way round when looking at a front mounted screen. Some have that as an option using a small jumper to select standard or reverse orientation. Most cameras sold as "reversing cameras" have the image reversed.

The camera consists of a two wire power cable plus a video out cable. Hook the camera up to a reversing light and an earth to switch it on only when the car is in reverse. I have a towbar fitted so it was easy just to hook into the loom for the tow bar wiring. That way any voltage balancing etc was taken care of by using the auxiliary/towbar wiring.
Then you run the cable back to the new video in cable you fitted to the head unit. You need a video cable around 6 mtrs long which just follows the loom down the right hand side of the vehicle along under the sill trim.
Most trim is just held on by small white plastic clips that pull out reasonably easily. When taking off the lower dash coverings pull off the thin strip along the middle first.
The glove box is held in by several screws most of which are hidden behind the trim strip along the top and two small covers, one above the boot release and one on the opposite side.
That part of the job also took about 20 minutes to do.

When choosing a camera 120 degrees seems about right for me. Wider than 120 degrees and everything is so distorted that it's almost impossible to judge distance and objects are so small until you are right on top of them that its easy to miss an obstacle like a small child or bollard.

= Camera Position:
Most people put the camera flush in or under the bumper but thats no good to me as I needed to able to see at least part of the car as a reference point. I particularly wanted to see the towbar for backing onto a trailer coupling for a large trailer and being able to park VERY close to a wall without actually touching it.
I also don't need to see lots of sky as I can already see that out the back window and its fairly unlikely the low flying seagulls pose a huge threat when reversing.
To do that you needed a higher vantage point and the VE has the perfect place for a small or recessed camera which is under the 35mm overhang above the number plate. Its more work to fit the camera here but again it is worth the effort. The other advantage of putting it under that lip is that it shades the camera a bit giving a better image on those real harsh sunny days.
I used a recessed camera so I had to drill a hole under the lip, fit the camera at an angle of around 55 degrees so that just the tip of the towbar shows at the bottom of the displayed image along with just a hint of the bumper in the lower corners of the image. Where the camera came through inside the body of the boot lid I used a bit of body filler to fix it in place so I did not need to make any mounting brackets etc. The bodywork in the boot lid at that point has a reasonably large void so the camera does not protrude into the boot space at all and will fit neatly behind the interior boot lid trim.
It's practically impossible to see the camera from outside the car at all unless you know exactly where to look which is not bad for a black camera mounted in a silver car.

= The VIM units.
I spent a lot of money to get my V8 so the cost of this small mod is nothing. I went for the full plug and play setup with all the plugs provided as the extra cost compared to all the extra time it would have taken to manually tap into looms etc made it well worth doing and I also didn't risk blowing anything up.
Wiring is easy though there was a bit of confusion over a main plug pinout. The image in the instructions appears to show the front of the plug when in fact it is the back but a quick email to JHP cleared that up.
Another thing not in the instructions is a trick with the video in plug for the rear aux of the head unit. What they don't tell you is that there is a lever on the video connection plug that goes into the side of the head unit. This lever needs to be in the down position to install the plug then moved to the up position at the top to lock it in.
Failing to fold the lever down before trying to push the plug in could result in bending the pins on the head unit.
When I came to connect the big 16 pin plug to the main loom input behind the glovebox I found that there was already a plug in it with a couple of loop wires fitted. I just popped those wires with their spade terminals out of the existing plug and put them back into the new plug in the same positions.

The whole job took a bit over one hour and 20 mins and works a treat.
It is not a hard job at all just a bit fiddly at times. Using a stiff wire with your video or power cables taped to the end to pull wiring through tight sections like the flexible hose between the boot lid and body or the sill channels makes a huge difference.

Hope this is some help to those considering doing this little job.

Don

1BEAST2NV

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 (MY09) VE R8 6.2ltr M6 475rwhp
good write up, handy to know, got any pics of where you mounted the camera??

I have a clubby and was thinking about mounting it down the bottom in the bumper with the honey comb shapes., right in the centre.

zmr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS-V
Well Done. Great write up. How much did it cost in NZD and where did you get the camera from please?

Also (please correct me if I am wrong) that VIM unit allows you to watch an 'inflight' DVD on the front LCD screen...once you have had the DVD Player enabled (via tech 2) I think....???

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Photos etc

I had also initially planned to put it into the honey comb section under the bumper which would have been a lot easier but then I would have not have the visual reference of being able to see a bit of the car and the towbar for very close backing situations. It really depends what you need.
I need to be able to back up close to a wall and also back onto the trailer coupling for a heavy trailer that can't really be moved so this way I can get it lined up perfectly on my own.

For the full plug and play VIM setup which also included the extra aux in video and sound cables for a DVD player to connect to the rear aux plus the extra NZ Customs added took it to around the NZ$780 mark so certainly not a cheep job.

Camera from Tradme was NZ$150 for a good one though you can get them a lot cheeper if you hunt around for a bargain or go for a smaller 1/4 chip or CMOS

You can add video and audio in cables to the head unit to play DVDs etc, the trick is that the rear aux will turn off if you go faster than a lame snail. The VIM unit removes that speed restriction so you can then see any video/audio feed you put to the rear aux while in motion (obviously not a good idea to play a movie on the front screen when driving = disclaimer).
Unfortunately I believe there is no way of removing that speed limit cutout in tech mode.
Part of the installation procedure for the VIM is going into the head unit menu and activating the rear aux. I don't think you need to go near the tech modes at all for that.

I am certainly not an expert on these things but that is my understanding from the reading I have done.

ss1.jpg

Camera is not too obvious

ss2.jpg

Close up looking up at the camera which is under the lip above the number plate

ss3.jpg

The view on screen showing just a hint of the bumper and tip of towbar

Last edited:

zmr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS-V
That's so cool. I can appreciate how handy that would be for coupling a trailer.

Thanks for your explanation. It seems like a great kit that still allows you the option of having a DVD in the rear aux as well as the camera - that's turned off unless in reverse. Brilliant.

My question (to ne1) is regarding the front display. Once you have the replacement VIM I think you need a tweak from the Tech 2 device and you could watch DVD's on the front player while in motion.

Of course that's a ridiculous notion and I don't condone such activity....but I think you could, if you wanted too....now you have installed the new VIM.......????

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
Hey buddy

Can you post up some pics of the VIM unit itself....and if possible..how it works ??

Cheers buddy !

boneart

Reaction score
Website
www.boneart.co.nz
Members Ride
VFII SS-V Redline
Geoff asked for more details of what is involved in connecting to the head unit etc and how hard it was to do

Yes it was a pretty easy install and flash.

I got the full kit including the switch and aux in cables.
They have several kits and its best to get the one they refer to as the "Plug and play" set which has all the plugs etc included, otherwise you have to cut into wiring and solder pins etc which could cause a problem if you make a mistake.
That kit has the VIM and auto switch built into a single unit that plugs into the main loom behind the glove box. Once it was all installed and tested (there is a test LED on the unit) then you follow the instructions provided and simply turn the ignition on and cut a small orange loop of wire on the VIM unit. The radio then resets itself after about 30 seconds or so and its done.

The video and audio cables plug unto the right hand side of the head unit and are pretty easy to get at so you don't have to remove the head unit at all. All you need to do is take off the plastic side panels under the dash. Its easiest to remove the bottom dash covers on the drivers side and the glove box on the left which then gives you a good clear working space. You need to do that to get access to the main plug behind the glove box and to run the video cable anyway. The instructions that come with the kit show you which holes to plug things into.

As the VIM unit is plugged in on the left behind the glovebox and are connected to the same plug as the relay etc which go into the right hand side of the head unit you need to take off both side panels for the central consol around the head unit. When you do that there is a nice big space under the head unit to feed those cables through so its really easy.

GeoffA over on the Grrrr8 forum did a great photo illustrated write up on the process of removing the dash covers etc though he is also making Don't forget that as his is a G8 in the USA the position of the glove box etc is reversed.

This is a link to his write up
Vip only

VIM.jpg

This is an image from JHP showing the full plug and play set.

radio.jpg

This is one of GeoffA's pic of the side of the head unit showing the plugs.

Last edited:

programer

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve omega
Does anyone know of someone in australia that sells the vim flash unit to reprogram the head unit ?

VTSS350

Blown VT LS1 450rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTLS1
Does anyone know of someone in australia that sells the vim flash unit to reprogram the head unit ?

Did you read the first post? It mentions the company that he used.

If you do a search you will find atleast 5 other threads that have the info your after!

geo41e

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS V
so far the ones that l've come across are all from Melbourne...