Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Review on the plenum + manifold spacers

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
So after getting home this arvo I noticed my spacers had arrived - so naturally I put them on 15 minutes later. I'd read the instructions roughly a month ago and thought my memory was good enough to remember.
After fitting the manifold spacer with half a tube of the supplied silicon that part was done. onto the plenum spacer! This was easy, the only problem i came across was that my coilpack is attached to the plenum lid. A few longer screws found in the shed averted this problem.

The first drive was very surprising - the spacers have addressed a lack of low end torque quite well - i wish i could have seen how the 25mm spacer goes but it wouldn't have cleared my strut brace.

It'll be interesting to see how this goes coupled with my supercharger when it comes back from raptor. It's certainly doing the job in NA trim!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Thats good to hear mate.

one thing to note is that only a small amount of sealant is usually required. once torqued down you need to wipe away any excess sealant that may have squeezed out into the runners.

they certainly do work. i have both the 12mm spacer and insulator on the missus car and they work well (when it runs properly :( )

cheers

Bart

a1k3m1

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY II S-Pack 25th Anniversary
yeh i put a heap of sealant on mine and the crap went everywhere, then it went hard as the phone rang half way through, n now its pretty hard to get rid of it all :(

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Could you use a spray type sealant like Hylomar instead of the silastic ? Just an idea for those who may put on too much, as well as block the little egr valve area(small rattly thing that sits in the runners?). Once tightened down, its all a thin layer anyway.

MACE

Reaction score
Could you use a spray type sealant like Hylomar instead of the silastic ? Just an idea for those who may put on too much, as well as block the little egr valve area(small rattly thing that sits in the runners?). Once tightened down, its all a thin layer anyway.

You can as shown in the alloytec fitting instruction example below,

http://www.maceengineering.com.au/W...94/MediaGallery/ALLOYTEC_MI_INSTALLATION_.pdf

I've also used Hylomar on the spacers for ecotecs before which can give you a neater finish. However rather then risk doing the job twice (vacuum leaks) I much prefer using sealant for the job which is easy to clean when it hasn't set anyway.

Cheers
Steve

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
Does the Copper Spray remain tacky ? For vacuum leaks, Hylomar would be very close to the silastic, as it remains soft and at the end of the day once bolted, its all the same, that thin layer of something. What is the surface of the spacer like ? Are they relatively flat ? Theres also the Hylomar in a bottle to paint on and can be applied a lil thicker than the spray.

MACE

Reaction score
Does the Copper Spray remain tacky ? For vacuum leaks, Hylomar would be very close to the silastic, as it remains soft and at the end of the day once bolted, its all the same, that thin layer of something. What is the surface of the spacer like ? Are they relatively flat ? Theres also the Hylomar in a bottle to paint on and can be applied a lil thicker than the spray.

"Does the Copper Spray remain tacky?"
It does but it drys fairly quickly.

"For vacuum leaks Hylomar would be very close to the silastic, as it remains soft and at the end of the day once bolted, its all the same, that thin layer of something"
As in this stuff? To be honest I've never used it before. I'll have to give it a go next time I do an install :)
AtkinsRotary.com

"What is the surface of the spacer like ? Are they relatively flat ?"
Smooth and flat

Thanks for the info :)

Cheers
Steve

vxcalais_01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Calais 3.8 2001
GUD GASKET GOO Hylomar Norwood Parade Auto Spares Open 7 Days www.derek.com.au THe blue spray can. Yes they seem to be the same. The pic i showed is the one i have used and talking about. The Hylomar stays wet in a sense that is the gasket moves, it goes like threads and will reseal again. Thats what makes it good in intake manifold gaskets where theres differential movement between the cast iron and the alloy for the v6's ecotec and before. So the copper spray eventually dries out. So it must make a hard seal.

lmfao

Reaction score
Members Ride
svz ute
hey there, i'm a newbie here, but have been lurking for a while, i fitted the spacer & cai to my ute on the weekend & am happy wih the results, the 190 motor felt sluggish down low, seemed to work when you get the revs up, now low down torque is much better, feel at the foot is much better, more responsive, i used the gasket goo supplied with the kit, only applying a thin bead. all in all easy fittment, i'm happy
cheer s