Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Review: Pioneer DEH-3350UB CD Tuner

Astranomical

Ecotec just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Members Ride
AH Astra (daily), VX Berlina, VN Calais, Mazda 626
Review: Pioneer DEH-3350UB
Link: DEH-3350UB CD Tuner with Front USB, iPod Direct Control and 2 RCA Pre-outs (2011 Model) - Pioneer Car Stereo - Digital Media Receiver
RRP: $225

Features:
- CD/MP3/WMA Player
- iPod/iPhone direct control
- Front AUX input
- Detachable faceplate
- 2 RCA Pre-outs
- Direct sub drive
- Hardwired remote input (supports factory-fitted steering wheel controls with the right adapter)

Things I like:
- It has both a USB port and an AUX input (which is good, since my geriatric 4th gen iPod isn't supported)
- The hard-wired remote input has allowed me to retain my factory fitted steering wheel controls
- The sound quality is slightly better than that of the OEM head unit, even with the standard speakers
- The USB connection supports MP3, WMA, AAC and WAV (at some point when I get around to it I intend to rip all my CDs to Wave files and stick them on an external HD which I'll keep in the car, as uncompressed Wave files sound significantly better than any compressed format)

Things I dislike:
- It doesn't support my geriatric iPod 4G (which it never claimed to, and I didn't expect that it would anyway, still it would have been nice)
- The interface takes a bit of getting used to, one thing in particular that I don't like is that in order to turn the head unit on or off you have to use the Source button which is a tiny button near the volume knob, rather than simply push the volume knob as with my original head unit
- The sound is a bit flat for my taste...while it could just be my crappy stock speakers, my guess is that I might need to have a bit of a play with the EQ over the weakend and see how I can improve it.

Star rating out of five: 4 out of 5...while there are a couple of things I don't like about it, its really quite a good HU for the price, and quite a step up from my original "premium audio system" in many ways. :thumbsup: