Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Revs not Dropping On Gear Change - VY S Manual

VY5Speed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S - 5 Speed
Howdy,

I bought a VY S Manual a few months back, done 90,000 kms, im the 2nd owner.

Eversince i got it, when i change gears the revs dont seem to drop. Yes i am taking my foot compltly off the Accel. Sometimes they even increese a bit.

I was told buy my local mechanic that the throttly body needed cleaning. So at the 90k service that was added to the list.

As far as i know it was done and i was charged for a can of carby cleaner.

But it hasnt made much if any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas? Or had this trouble before???

Thanks in advance!!

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
I think its pretty normal mate, i have VX S manual and it does the same thing...
Someone once said before its due to the holden Dual Mass Flywheel... Think its
meant to make the gear change transition smoother... someone may be able to
elaborate further on this, but its not something id worry about.

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
I have the same problem and I was under the impression that the ECM is programmed to do that, to ensure best exhaust emissions.

I recall (maybe on another thread) that if you get an aftermarket chip you can stop it (although it may not pass emissions testing).

Weissen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8
Sticky throttle cable or accelerator pedal maybe?
Get some WD-40 or silicone spray to it.

JD

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.ccgm.au.tt
Members Ride
1.6L Turbo Holden Croooooooooooze
every vt/x/y/z 5or 6 spd i have driven does this so i reckon its normal

hbdvysute

Utes the word
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s ute
hey mate i drive a vy s 5 speed ute. i had teh same problem when i got it. i changed the clutch to a heavy duty plate clutch and adjusted the throttle body so now when i change gears it just constant power bit of chirping to into 2nd and 3rd gear ;) downfall is heavy duty clutch set me back just on $1000 hope this helps

CNULTR

SLEEP3r
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 25th Anniversary II
Hi guyz,I dont know if this is relevant but i got a similiar issue with the auto when I go to overtake and I plant it the auto doesnt kick down into a lower gear .Dealer said its normal any1 got an idea on what can be done for it?
Cheers

Holden2gether

The short,chunky fella
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Hi guyz,I dont know if this is relevant but i got a similiar issue with the auto when I go to overtake and I plant it the auto doesnt kick down into a lower gear .Dealer said its normal any1 got an idea on what can be done for it?
Cheers

Sounds like a dealer that can't be stuffed fixing it! Don't know about the VY auto cos I've got a manual also, but my VR was auto and I'm pretty sure it's in the nature of any auto that it's supposed to kickdown everytime the boot is stuck up it,unless the VY has a new type of trans?

Also I haven't noticed with my manual the revs not dropping,guess I'll have a good listen when I'm on my way home tonight,perhaps I had the VR auto for too long!! mind you it goes up and down through the box ok so I guess at the end of the day it doesn't really matter if it doesn't drop it's revs during changes.What I did notice when I first got it was that it was quite noisy in first gear,it had only 46,000 k's on the clock so I don't know if it was just the box 'wearing in',seems to have got quieter now (up to 52,000 k's) or it could be that Im getting used to the whine it makes??.Don't know if anybody else had had this problem,be interested to hear if you have.

Last edited:

Marks-VY

I love cars
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Berlina
The whine in 1st and 2nd is "within normal operational limits" if you ask Holden so don't even bother:bang: I have had it since new.
The revs is only momentary, when you first take you foot off the accelerator and put in the clutch, takes about 1-2 seconds for the revs to drop. As I mentioned, I think it is programmed like that to ensure all gasses are burnt.

Holden2gether

The short,chunky fella
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
The whine in 1st and 2nd is "within normal operational limits" if you ask Holden so don't even bother:bang: I have had it since new.
The revs is only momentary, when you first take you foot off the accelerator and put in the clutch, takes about 1-2 seconds for the revs to drop. As I mentioned, I think it is programmed like that to ensure all gasses are burnt.

Cheers Marks-VY,I did wonder about it.First time I've run a Gertrag box so I wondered if it was a fault or perhaps just the way the gears have been cut (straight cut gears tend to whine more than helically cut),obviously they're cut slightly straighter than Im used to!