Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Revving A Vx Commodore

asustek

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Commodore
I was just wondering if it was ok to rev my VX Commodore in Park?? Ive heard that if you do it breaks the pins and stuffs the transmission. THNX

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Just a curious question, but why are you revving it?

M

midas

As long as you don't go crazy the car is capable of handling that kind of treatment. There are no pins or things that are in any danger of damage. Just make sure the obvious is in place 1. Handbrake on 2. Plenty of Oil and fuel 3. Don't red line it!

PS Mechanics do it all the time it is a good way of testing certain running capacities of the car.

asustek

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT Commodore
LoL Thanks guys, just revving it to see what a stock car can give. Just a bit curious coz its my old mans car.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Can always put it in neautral with the handbrake on........

S

shsvstewart_8

sometimes it does no harm, blows a bit of **** out, its been known for mechanics to do this all the time, esp to cars that dont get drivin real far, or hard, just gives everything a chance to work to its capacity

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Rev ahead!
Its the best way to rev an engine, there's no strain on it at all as its running free. (ie, not moving your car)

Troy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Auto 128rwkw, VZ V6 Lumina wagon stock
Call me pedantic, but it's not exactly the best way to rev an engine. When there's no load you can actually glaze the bore, doing more harm than good, but you only really have to worry about this if the engine is fairly new and/or you do it for like 2-3 minutes at a time. I am being picky.

fergi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5 LITRE V8
i agree with troy there maniac its not good to rev it too hard in neutral better to have the motor under load, and thats what i was thinking charlee what the hell is he doing sitting there reving it for,take the thing out on the road and keep it in low gear ,at least you wont be breaking the speed limit then and you can here the thing rev
fergi

T

TBAct

QUOTE (Troy @ Apr 15 2004, 08:02 PM) Call me pedantic, but it's not exactly the best way to rev an engine. When there's no load you can actually glaze the bore, doing more harm than good, but you only really have to worry about this if the engine is fairly new and/or you do it for like 2-3 minutes at a time. I am being picky.
No, it won't glaze the bores. You need to idle your car for hours and hours and hours for this to happen! LOL.

Ask any truck/plant owner with a diesel engine that has glazed bores.... they'll tell you it came from idling for hours or overnight even.