Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Revving/Lagging

DEMONOID88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Executive
Hi all,

I have a VS Executive 1996. Lately (the last few months or so) when I go to put my foot down, usually in the mornings or when it is first driven after being idle for sometime... it revs a lot and sometimes does not take off. it lags. it sounds a lot louder than it usually was, and it feels absolutely weak! sometimes say i'm giving way.. I know I can zip across to the other side with plenty of time, but i put my foot down and it revs loudly and crawls for like 2-5 seconds then shoots off as the speed of light.. its pissing me off and caused me some close calls.

What could it be? Spark plugs.. new, air filter, new, fuel filter.. new.

Occasionally I hear this grinding noise during transmission, at around 2,500RPM(rev thing) but I'm pretty sure this is a different issue.

I left it because the car still moves but now I have enough money I want to get it fixed... wtf is it? My gut feeling tells me that this is going to be very expensive and if that's the case I will just get rid of the POS and get a nice new one.

Thanks.

OnLiA6

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VS 3.8
might be you auto who knows??? does it only do it wen its cold on first start???

love the general

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute daily hj gts project
mines doin the same pretty sure its the bands in the transmission mine was doin it a little bit for about the last month but the other day i changed the oil and the filter and its gotten a lot worse since then. My car is booked in for friday so i'll let you know

DEMONOID88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Executive
It is not when it is cold.
Generally when you first turn it on. Even if that happens to be a 40degree day.
It will do it for the first 10-20 mins its the worse, then it gets significantly better but not 100% right.

How much is that u think?

whitevrboi

Just another white vr.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
yea i've got a similar problem, hasnt been as bad since i got my exhaust n extractors done but its still there...can u post up how u go at the mechanics?

DEMONOID88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Executive
Will do.. well when I book it in.
It's a pain because I have to work 8-4 everyday.
Hate getting the train!! So slow and ***in weird as randoms look at you. Specially at footscray station

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check you transmission fluid level and hope it is low...otherwise it's a new trans soon. Might be time for another car with the price of 2nd hand cars!!

7shane0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore sedan
dude even if its like a 40 degree day your engine and transmission are still guna be cold. From what you have mentioned its obviously a tranmission issue so id take it to a transmission shop and get them to check it out. otherwise you shouldnt be driving your car hard when its cold, thats the worst thing u can possibly do besides putting a drift pod filter on...

DEMONOID88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Executive
Update
For those who wanted to know how it went.
Took it to a transmission center today, and he drove it and said the transmission is fine. He believes it to be an exhaust problem. There's a rattling noise and a performance drop, and a create fell off a truck and slammed under my car a month ago. That might have screwed something up.

Anyway I will post back when I've taken it to mechanic or exhaust place and let you know how it went. I am so glad my transmission is fine - $1,800+ to fix = HELL NO!

Cheers.

XeKToReX

Put it on credit!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL, VR Exec, VS Stato, VT Clubby #555
this grinding noise only happen under load on a 3-4 shift? Mine seems to grind a little, trans is about 80,000 old, not slipping or anything, I was thinking its messing up when it locks the converter up.. not sure as to what it is..