Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Revving too high when cold and taking ages to warm up

bootlegnjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Esteem
I am trying to suss out a problem with a VP commodore.

OK starting the car from cold, it revs too high when driving and wont shift gear when the car is going about 60-70km like it normally would until it has taken about 15 min to warm up, then it finally shifts into the right gear. But the time it is taking to shift is getting longer and longer. It used to take about 5 min.. now its taking about 15 min. I can take the car to 90km and rev the crap out of it and it will change sooner but I dont want to cause damage over time. Something is wrong.

Anyone know what the go is? Someone told me auto choke but the car is EFI so it can't be.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Sounds like a blocked filter in the transmission to me, with the needing to wait for the trans fluid to thin out (warm up) before it'll shift properly.

As for long warmups, try a hotter thermostat?

bootlegnjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Esteem
I just called a couple of mechanic's and one said the neoprene seals in the gearbox may be shot so I would be up for a full replacement ~ $1800 - 2000. Otherwise I could get a service and an additive which could loosen them up after it had been driven for 100km or so, but that might just be throwing good money after bad. One guy said it could be the filter.. he has had that happen but it could be klutch gear gunking up everything.

I asked one about the filter and he said that it probably wouldn't be going well at all if that was the case... that it would just rev in neutral.

Only paid $1500 for the car of a family friend who is a dealer and don't have 2 grand to spend on a new box.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Well there's a magnet in the trans sump that should attract most metal shavings (which will need cleaning off if you service it yourself). Honestly I'd go for the filter first, it's a bit of a gamble, but in this day and age, what's $45 for a service kit and $20 for fluid and do it yourself? :)

bootlegnjack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Esteem
Sounds good will do, thanks for your help mate.

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
No problem, hope we've got ya going in the right direction. :)