Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Revving up to 1.500RPM when coasting only

Langella

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 6.0 SS-V
I've been a member for a while but never had a chance to post, so here I am.

I got a SSV Manual,

So everything started when I cleaned my intake filter, which is washable and it was all clogged up, car was running fine before I cleaned. I took the opportunity to clean the throttle body butterfly spraying some Carb cleaning into it while car was running. Because mass airflow sensor was off I got a engine light while I was doing the process, that was expected.

Throttle Butterfly cleaned, air intake filter housing cleaned and filter dry, time to put all stuff together again. then I did:
  • Clean the ECU error codes
  • Unplug the battery for 2 minutes and connected back
  • Start the car and left it running until the cooling fan kicks off
  • Turn the car off and on again.

Now a very weird thing has been happening, everytime I'm coasting or gliding engine revs up to 1100 - 1500RPM approximately however if while coasting or gliding clutch pedal is depressed engine goes back to idle, If I leave the clutch pedal car revs up again. If car goes to a complete stop for example in neutral after coasting with clutch pedal not depressed RPMs goes back to idle in 5 to 10 seconds after car stopped.

I know its not right to coasting and that was just an example. Problem is: if any gear is engaged, car is moving and clutch pedal is not depressed car won't not glide and speed its kept even though my foot is off the throttle pedal.

Does anyone know whats going on?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
there are a few tables based on if u are in gear stopped, in gear rolling, clutch in or clutch out so after cleaning the TB it prob just needs to relearn those tables as they are still going back to what it knows but now its clean and no gunk so more airflow is going thru

Mattricho

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV my15
Also check all you vacuum hoses. I had the same problem after putting a catch can on and it turned out I left one of the vacuum hoses off

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Dont clean the t/b while its on the car,then you wont have any issues at all,i keep saying it but nobody ever listens lol.
Unplug the t/b and remove it,then clean it and put it back on,simples.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Dont clean the t/b while its on the car,then you wont have any issues at all,i keep saying it but nobody ever listens lol.
Unplug the t/b and remove it,then clean it and put it back on,simples.
I agree the TB should he taken off before cleaning. Mind you, I did this and still had issues. Followed all the precautions I knew and then some. I changed all 8 spark plugs at the same time. When I put it back together, it sounded like a 4 cylinder chalf cutter. I could hold the throttle pedal flat to the floor and it would not rev past 2k rpm. It sounded terrible and was shaking all over the shop and sounded like it was missing on at least 4 cylinders. It was in limp mode too. DIC displayed "engine power reduced". Turned it off. Left it for 20 mins, restarted, same issues. I then realised I hadn't plugged the wiring back on to the drivers side of the TB properly! Yet the throttle pedal still made it rev to 2k? I plugged the wiring back on, restarted and then left it running for about an hour. Turned it off, restarted and shebang, it purred like a kitten and has been fine ever since. I'm still not sure if it was starting with the wiring disconnected, the TB cleaner on the MAF, wiping inside the TB with a rag soaked in cleaner to get the real grubby carboned up marks off, moving the butterfly, or a combination of all these things. Scared me for a bit though.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
TB on or off plugged in or unplugged dosnt matter... its that tiny barely measurable gunk u are cleaning off that changes the airflow thru the butterfly, if there is not much on there then it will not make much difference at all but if u have a bit then over the time it would have made more of a adjustment to correct for the gunk, idle airflow is super critical lower then bout 15-20% it takes very little to affect it, ive cleaned mine on and off and connected or not and ported it myself and still fire up as per normal (warning dont port these unless u know exactly where too and not too take out alloy) only thing i say is dont move the butterfly when powered up and dont move it past its closed/open limits when not powered up

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Ive always removed them to clean them and never had an issue,my 2013 ssv vf wagon t/b was black and filthy when i got the car,removed it to clean it and not a problem,there is a MUCH greater chance of having issues leaving it on the car and cleaning it,i guess its possible having issues even after removing it to clean it i havent experienced it myself though.
I actually enjoy cleaning the t/b,its one of a few jobs i really like doing because its so easy and pleasing to see the crap cleaned away,its almost therapeutic :)

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
Ive always removed them to clean them and never had an issue,my 2013 ssv vf wagon t/b was black and filthy when i got the car,removed it to clean it and not a problem,there is a MUCH greater chance of having issues leaving it on the car and cleaning it,i guess its possible having issues even after removing it to clean it i havent experienced it myself though.
I actually enjoy cleaning the t/b,its one of a few jobs i really like doing because its so easy and pleasing to see the crap cleaned away,its almost therapeutic :)
i think some people use the "throttle body cleaner" and it is a very harsh cleaner and will destroy some rubber seals causing air leaks, ive used it to easily clean the intercooler cores on my blower from all the gunk building up on them where a degreaser can didnt even budge it, electronic throttle body just a clean rag with some light cleaner on it is fine or just a rag if u clean it regularly