Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rewinding KMS?

Ben0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S-pac
Hey guys,

I had a issue with my VY commodore S pac when police mode wasnt turned on properly...Because of this the car read 1km as 1metre...Therefore in driving it home and to the holden dealer, the car think's i did 5000km of driving...Clearly i didnt.

When holden fixed the issue with the speedo and police mode, i told him it went pshyco and if he could rewind the kms to the number before (Had a service that day the speedo went crazy, so the KMS were on a dated peice of paper) And he told me he cannot do this...

SO my delimer is...I've got a extra 5000kms on my car that i didnt do...Which makes me angry! Should i be charging the mechanic that did this for a new cluster? Or is there a way that we can rewind it to the number it was on.

Help?

Thanks!

Ben0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S-pac
Put this in the wrong section...Meant to put it in VY, but if a mod could move it that would be awesome :)

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
What do you mean, "when Police Mode wasn't turned on properly"?
Police Mode is selectable on or off through the tech interface (with corresponding changes to what is displayed on the digital section of the cluster); it is an extraordinary suggestion that is isn't done properly — there isn't anything to change about it after confirmation.

I imagine that the problem is likely to be a a mismatch of the tyre size, which is also set with the tech instrument. A tyre size incorrect to what you are using could well be giving you the odd km reading, although 1m to 1km is an extreme measure.

In exceptional circumstances I think the logged km reading can be altered through the tech instrument, but it is not arbritary; you'd need a darned good reason for doing it; it would seem you have.

Ben0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S-pac
thanks for your help guys,

What happened is that my mechanic (who owns a VY) Decided to just turn it on to be nice. I drove out of the shop thinking, "Thats pretty cool" and i look down to the speedo and it was reading i was doing about 110km/h when i was just put putting along. Drove it back, he couldn't seem to fix it as he didn't have the "right" computer thing to change all the settings. During the time obviously when he programmed it a error occurred (i would say)

Therefore, he rang holden, they organised for me to take it there, all good they fixed it. however it has screwed up the kms.

I asked him what had happened and the car some how read a EXTREME wrong Pulse number. It was set on like 14 instead of about 6000 something. The car is now fixed, except im kept with a extra 5000kms.

So can holden take it back to the kms it was on the day it was broken (they can even add like 50kms for the drive i did to holden, i don't care) I have proof of the kms because of the service, and im sure my mechanic can back me up on this. Or is holden just being to honest and not believing me?

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden is probably only acting within the law in not hastily rolling back the speedo reading. Tampering with the speedo reading anywhere is a definite 'no, no' in terms of what the law says. That said, I do think you have a valid reason to seek the speedo being wound back, but the difficulty may be in the application of law which does not freely allow it. Holden also is the second party in this story; the problem arose from your first mechanic; Holden simply remedied it after you took the car to them. This is complicating factor in the story; unless problem arose with Holden in the first instance, they really can't put themselves in the position of risk in rewinding the speedo because of a mistake that was made by somebody else.

Ben0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S-pac
Holden is probably only acting within the law in not hastily rolling back the speedo reading. Tampering with the speedo reading anywhere is a definite 'no, no' in terms of what the law says. That said, I do think you have a valid reason to seek the speedo being wound back, but the difficulty may be in the application of law which does not freely allow it. Holden also is the second party in this story; the problem arose from your first mechanic; Holden simply remedied it after you took the car to them. This is complicating factor in the story; unless problem arose with Holden in the first instance, they really can't put themselves in the position of risk in rewinding the speedo because of a mistake that was made by somebody else.

Yes, i gathered this may be the case. I have emailed Holden and i shall see what they will say. I might just have to live with it, maybe my mechanic can write me a note or something saying it has 5k more than it actually does :p

Holden did say they can install a new cluster (Of course they can, they want more money) But, thanks for your help anyway, i appreciate it!

colgf

Reaction score
Members Ride
s/charged v6 HR Holden, s/charged v6 EH Holden,
I believe that once the odometer goes beyond 100,000 klms it cannot be reset, but anything below that can be reset by Tech2.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
end of the day 5000 kays aint gonna mean much you know how many its done and whan ya decide to sell it 5000 aint gonna change the selling price .

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Just a mo':
Holden said they can install a new cluster.... of course, of course. But remember, you too could do that by getting a new cluster off eBay or aftermarket supplier, but if something goes wrong or needs adjustment, you go back to Holden, and —? This post sounds even more likely now that they are playing by law rather than arbitrary whim.

Regarding time to sell up, the over condition of the car and attention to regular required servicing is a lot more important to prospective buyers than kilometres. Nobody actually believes the travelled kilometres to be true and correct, because it simply cannot be inescapably correct or accurate — it's just a reference of distance over time and nothing more.