Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rewire whole system

Sam Barnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s pac
I’ve got a vx with absolutely horrible sound system wiring there’s wires everywhere in boot n behind headunit that are either not plugged in or cut. I was told best way fix it is to fully rewire the hole system, how would I approach doing that with near no knowledge on audio systems. Pics to see what I mean

Attachments

• DA30014F-C5AC-4E34-B68A-8D666E961C82.jpeg
    DA30014F-C5AC-4E34-B68A-8D666E961C82.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 150
  • 2F142595-90E7-4998-99C8-53410B739D61.jpeg
    2F142595-90E7-4998-99C8-53410B739D61.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 806FBF06-2537-4234-8E10-6B6C15BB8DD7.jpeg
    806FBF06-2537-4234-8E10-6B6C15BB8DD7.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 159
  • B599E7CD-D438-410A-A4D1-5D350A4E887A.jpeg
    B599E7CD-D438-410A-A4D1-5D350A4E887A.jpeg
    212.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 82BCE3B5-8FDD-4AE2-9974-9E34B272C6A9.jpeg
    82BCE3B5-8FDD-4AE2-9974-9E34B272C6A9.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 154

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
I changed my stereo from factory to a nice sony system I grabbed from the wreckers for lunch money... but was able to get an adaptor that meant i didnt need to hack the wiring as it just plugged in ...Just looking at some of the pics youve posted im wondering if they werent running a sub in the boot...rewiring to a stereo might not be so hard if you can restore the hacks that have been done to the wiring (as you could probably get a plug in adaptor) but this could be a waste of time if they have rewired the doors and wherever else ...in that situation you would need a stereo that comes with a wiring diagram for its out puts then you would need to run all the wires out from there...best get some color coded spkr wires from a store like jaycar (if they have changed the factory wires) ...you really probably only need a different color for left and right as most have a common wire ... First thing you probably need to check is whether they have changed the speaker wires to the doors and rear etc...My calais has speakers everywhere so i guess I was lucky to get away with an adaptor plug....you might find the same if they havent changed the wiring to most of the factory speakers otherwise you need to have a wiring diagram for the stereo you have or are fitting and will have to run all the wiring from that....theres a wiring color code for most holden stereos on this site somewhere so if they havent changed the factory wiring to most speakers you should be able to hook into the factory wiring using the color codes...youd be looking to plug into the accessory for power and a ground or just earth the system to the body somewhere (probably a good idea to whack in a fusible link to the stereo power when linking to the accessory power, although most stereos will have them on their power connection) ...Maybe someone else can add some input...ive hacked into a vs to put a stereo in but you will need the factory color codes for right/ left/front/rear/common etc assuming they havent removed the factory wiring... Its not that tricky to do even if you have to rewire it all,it just takes time ...if you have a brand new stereo with its wiring diagram you are half way there... If your not confident take it to an auto electrician or someone that does car sound systems because not done correctly it could cause a fire or frizzle the new stereo ...I had a mate with a cortina whos car stereo started melting the wiring while we were driving along, I ripped it out and threw it out the window.....before it really started to burn up the wiring....he hated me for doing it, but it did save his cars wiring....and the stereo was never gonna work again anyways....

Last edited:

Sam Barnes

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vx s pac
I changed my stereo from factory to a nice sony system I grabbed from the wreckers for lunch money... but was able to get an adaptor that meant i didnt need to hack the wiring as it just plugged in ...Just looking at some of the pics youve posted im wondering if they werent running a sub in the boot...rewiring to a stereo might not be so hard if you can restore the hacks that have been done to the wiring (as you could probably get a plug in adaptor) but this could be a waste of time if they have rewired the doors and wherever else ...in that situation you would need a stereo that comes with a wiring diagram for its out puts then you would need to run all the wires out from there...best get some color coded spkr wires from a store like jaycar (if they have changed the factory wires) ...you really probably only need a different color for left and right as most have a common wire ... First thing you probably need to check is whether they have changed the speaker wires to the doors and rear etc...My calais has speakers everywhere so i guess I was lucky to get away with an adaptor plug....you might find the same if they havent changed the wiring to most of the factory speakers otherwise you need to have a wiring diagram for the stereo you have or are fitting and will have to run all the wiring from that....theres a wiring color code for most holden stereos on this site somewhere so if they havent changed the factory wiring to most speakers you should be able to hook into the factory wiring using the color codes...youd be looking to plug into the accessory for power and a ground or just earth the system to the body somewhere (probably a good idea to whack in a fusible link to the stereo power when linking to the accessory power, although most stereos will have them on their power connection) ...Maybe someone else can add some input...ive hacked into a vs to put a stereo in but you will need the factory color codes for right/ left/front/rear/common etc assuming they havent removed the factory wiring... Its not that tricky to do even if you have to rewire it all,it just takes time ...if you have a brand new stereo with its wiring diagram you are half way there... If your not confident take it to an auto electrician or someone that does car sound systems because not done correctly it could cause a fire or frizzle the new stereo ...I had a mate with a cortina whos car stereo started melting the wiring while we were driving along, I ripped it out and threw it out the window.....before it really started to burn up the wiring....he hated me for doing it, but it did save his cars wiring....and the stereo was never gonna work again anyways....

the original owner did something and add subs n amps but ended up ripping it all out before selling the car ,left 4 three way speaker crossovers though. I bought a plug and play from supercheap n it made the rear door speakers work but the other 6 won’t work. I want to have a auto electrician look at it because I’ve got no idea how to fix it but I’ve gotta find one that’ll come out n look because I can’t take it in to place due to no roadworthy or rego an also not cost a arm n a leg.

Jeda

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V
That's not too bad at all.
Is there a big gold fuse attached to the positive terminal of you battery?

The RCA's coming from the head unit slot in the dash are for the amps in the boot.

That KX600.4 amp will run 4 speakers, 2 front and two rear.
There should be 4 sets of speaker wires in the boot, which will connect to that amp.
The power, ground and remote wire plug in to that kicker amp, along with the 8 speaker wires.

Whatever head unit you're going to run should have front and rear RCA outputs, and a sub/low frequency RCA out.
You're likely gonna have to splice into the factory loom if you don't have a proper adapter, but it's easy.
You're looking for constant 12v (battery), accessories 12v and ground. That's it. Splice those into your new head unit harness. Then connect the remote wire from your head unit harness to the lose one the old owner left you in the hole in the dash. That is the thin one that you have in the boot thats near the power and ground cable. Connect you're RCA's to the back of the head unit, wire up your amp in the boot with the cables already there, and you should be good.
Up to you if you then want to add a sub, as your wiring is already there.

If you were in Melbourne I'd get you to come around and show you how to do it.

Good luck.

Last edited: