Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ride Height and What Rims?

TriK

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Berlina II sedan
Hey guys,

I'm looking at buying some new rims for my car which is a VT Series 2 Berlina,
First thing is what type of rim do you think will suit the colour of my car best?
Chromies (hope not)? Normal alloy kinda ones not real shiny? Shadow Chrome?

Also if i upgrade from the stock rims will it increase my ride height? because i just scrape down on my drivewat at the moment...so im thinkin 1 or 2 cm's would be enough to stop the scraping.

Thanks guys appreciate the help

PS: if anyone has pictures of my colour car with rims on it id appreciate them too!

Attachments

• IMG_0480_1_3.JPG
    IMG_0480_1_3.JPG
    662.2 KB · Views: 281

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Bigger rims won't increase the height because the bigger the rim the lower the profile of the tyre making the diameter about the same as the stock tyres. That is if you go from 15inch to 17 inch, which legally, is all you can do anyway as far as I know. I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong.

bc77

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
This is my rims (missing the caps) I personaly think VY SS rims would look great.

Attachments

• IMG_04351.JPG
    IMG_04351.JPG
    260.1 KB · Views: 353

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
Hey Trik it needs to be dumped first as big rims look silly on stock ride height:p

TriK

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Berlina II sedan
Bigger rims won't increase the height because the bigger the rim the lower the profile of the tyre making the diameter about the same as the stock tyres. That is if you go from 15inch to 17 inch, which legally, is all you can do anyway as far as I know. I'm sure I will be corrected if I'm wrong.

Ahh ok thanks for clearing that up.

This is my rims (missing the caps) I personaly think VY SS rims would look great.

Yea i have looked at VY SS previously also the ROH FURY and ones similar like yours which is the shape i was leaning towards. Thanks for the pic is helps a lot more than the virtual wheel thing on bobjane.com.au also what springs have you lowered yours on? how much did it cost? doesnt look too low which is what im after.

Hey Trik it needs to be dumped first as big rims look silly on stock ride height

"dumping" my ride would then make me unable to go down my driveway without leaving half the under carriage behind. But yes i do want to lower it...just isnt logical at this point in time. So getting 17's wouldnt look that horrible for the time being would it? i mean i can park it out the front of my house but in Vic Park its dodgey and people key cars too often and bird turd aint good for the mint paint job. So maybe ill invest in a Car Cover. Thanks for the input though, always appreciated.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
I have 17 at stock height and it's ok. Sometimes it's not practical to lower your car. 17s still look better than 15s no matter what height.

TriK

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Berlina II sedan
ahh ok i will look into it as i just got a nice bit back from the tax man :)

VY SS Come in 17's? was trying to find something about em in perth streetcar mag but couldnt find anything. Otherwise ill have a look at some ROH rims.

Also off topic a bit sorry. But if i get an exhaust system put on my car and have twin tips will that decrease back pressure? i just like the look of twin tip exhausts but hey if its losing backpressure there aint no point.

WinterVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
VY SS alloys do come in a 17" size, yes :)

personally myself, when I get the chance I want to put the SSZ/Monaro 18" alloys on my VX S
and perhaps lower it about an inch to sit the car to my liking.

VY03

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY Acclaim
TriK said:
ahh ok i will look into it as i just got a nice bit back from the tax man :)

VY SS Come in 17's? was trying to find something about em in perth streetcar mag but couldnt find anything. Otherwise ill have a look at some ROH rims.

Also off topic a bit sorry. But if i get an exhaust system put on my car and have twin tips will that decrease back pressure? i just like the look of twin tip exhausts but hey if its losing backpressure there aint no point.

With Twin tips you won't lose backpressure and if you do get one make sure its the stainless steel one and not the cheap chrome tips they rust within two years or less not a good look

TriK

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Berlina II sedan
VY SS alloys do come in a 17" size, yes

personally myself, when I get the chance I want to put the SSZ/Monaro 18" alloys on my VX S
and perhaps lower it about an inch to sit the car to my liking.

Good to hear....is that 2 inch's over stock rule because they believe the car cant handle safely or something?

With Twin tips you won't lose backpressure and if you do get one make sure its the stainless steel one and not the cheap chrome tips they rust within two years or less not a good look

Yea i was thinking of going to a di fillippo place or somewhere else with a reputable name hopefully they supply with stainless steel. Also noticed ur from margaret river....which is where my pics were taken my old man lives down there.