Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

"Right hand side rack end has movement" - VN

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
3.8L S1 VN & Sr20det 180sx
hey guys, so after much money, and work, i took my car in to get a roadworthy, thinking that it would be pretty close, well i was wrong.. there was a fair bit, i've knocked a half of the things on the list off in the last 3 days, but im still left with a few things (e.g sagged engine mounts, soft/loose transmission mount etc, just the slightly more difficult things.) now my question is, on the list it says "Right hand side rack end has movement" the mechanic said this was a fairly easy fix, just needed a new joint of some form, and that it wouldn't cost me much, so i was just wondering, by "right hand side rack end" he's talking about the steering rack yeah..? Would somebody be able to give me help on what the part i need is, and where to locate it on the vehicle? (1990 series 1 vn calais 3.8L) Thanks guys!!

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
the rack end would be the one that screws into the rack?

You can tell when these a stuffed as they move about easy they should be nice and taught when you hold the rack up they should stay somewhat horizontal

If so theyre still about $30 plus new lock washer thing. fairly simple to change should really do both rack ends and tie rods.

Remove tie rod from strut.
remove tie rod from rack end taking note of it was located distance wise for maintaining some sort of wheel alignment
Remove boot from steering rack try not to damage them as they're a roady item
Use a chisel or similar to knock back the folded edges of locking tabs unscrew the rack end from rack.

Install is reverse of removal
I would personally get new boots anyway then remove tie rod and rack end together and will make it easier to measure its length

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
thank you both very much for the help, i have just been informed it is just a ball joint for the rack that i need, would anyone have any idea on price? and is this hard to do or would i be better off paying the price i was just given? ($150, thats with them supplying the joint, and giving a wheel alignment.)

LordMayhem

Here For A Good Time!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
yep that's the rack end look on ebay round 30 bucks for a pair of them and most come with the lock washers too.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
also guys, while i had this here i thought i'd ask, "Front left hand lower control arm inner bush, centre pin unbonded" Could anyone tell me about this? do i just buy the new bush and put it in? can i do this myself? or should i get it done when i get the ball joint done in the rack? Cheers!

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
the rack end would be the one that screws into the rack?

You can tell when these a stuffed as they move about easy they should be nice and taught when you hold the rack up they should stay somewhat horizontal

If so theyre still about $30 plus new lock washer thing. fairly simple to change should really do both rack ends and tie rods.

Remove tie rod from strut.
remove tie rod from rack end taking note of it was located distance wise for maintaining some sort of wheel alignment
Remove boot from steering rack try not to damage them as they're a roady item
Use a chisel or similar to knock back the folded edges of locking tabs unscrew the rack end from rack.

Install is reverse of removal
I would personally get new boots anyway then remove tie rod and rack end together and will make it easier to measure its length

When you tighten these rack ends back up onto the rack gear you need to properly support the rack gear to prevent it twisting and putting force onto the pinion gear as this will damage the rack and pinion gears where they mesh. There is a tool that supports the rack to do this in the car and if you don't have it you will need to remove the whole thing and support the rack gear in a vice. $150 is a good price with a wheel alignment and if the rest of the rack was in good condition I would just get it done otherwise get another complete rack.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
thanks mate, is all that necissary for changing a ball joint? i've found its not the tie rods or whatnot that need replacing, but just a ball joint.. also does anyone have any info on the lower control arm inner bush? is there a special meathod to inserting it or can i do it myself? Thanks alot guys!

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
The rack end comes with a ball joint however I am assuming you mean the steering rack is OK and it's the ball joint in the lower control arm?
You will have to remove the lower control arm and press the old ball joint out and then press in a new one. The arm needs to be properly supported when pressing in ball joints to prevent any deformation.

Best solution is to remove the lower arm(s) in question and take to a mechanic with the parts and have any ball joints and bushes that need to be replaced done then refit it yourself.
I think you can also buy change over arms with new bushes and ball joints in them.

PUSHIN

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
yeah, i had a roadworthy done, and they didn't mention anything about the steering rack, just the ball joint and the bush, thanks alot for the input mate, much appreciate! i think i will take the arms out, and have the inner bush changed on the left, and the ball joint changed on the right, i may even get two ball joints and get them both done, and with the extra bush, have it put in on the right arm. :) thanks alot!