Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Right spot right time for a ride in a VE

west55

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
I just happened to be in the right spot this afternoon to have a ride in, and a good look over a VE Omega. Firstly my overall impressions are that the new VE is bigger then the VZSV6 I drive. Yes I know the spec's show that it is bigger, but the overall feel and look of the car make it seem bigger?
I noticed the flared guards really are quite large, it gives it a very agressive look, particularly from the front. (It made the red Omega very agressive looking, and the black (Phantom) look more stylist?) The rear boot line is very stylish, and seems shorter then the current VZ, but when you open the boot its a L-O-T longer, and fractionly not as deep? I'd have to check specs but that what it seems? I was in the vehicle as we travelled around for around 10 minutes and in that time I observed the people around me to see if they noticed the VE. Not many picked up on the fact that this was the first new VE on ********* roads? A bit strange really, as when I followed it driving away, it really didn't create as much impact on me either?
The drive: VERY Quiet and much less noise then a VZ! tHE 180kW seems to be doing its thing, but the old 4 speed auto seems to have become very "modern" in its old age. Smooth changes, and quiet?. The view out of the windscreen is great, compared to the Ford BF, and certainly better then the VZ. The only negetive here is the A- pillar..... its now very thick (it houses an airbag) it may cut down the turning view a bit??
The interior: Nice, and thats even in the Omega? Dash is great, and view over the dash is very modern, stereo sounded better then my VZ (new speakers perhaps???)
Overall, when I got back into my VZSV6 it felt very crude via comparison.
I did notice that the handling was sharper, but then you would expect that, as this was a Omega? The ride in the new VE is going to set a few bench marks I think?
The panel fit for an Australian product (and even the rest of the world for that matter?) is fanastic. Both vehicles I saw were the best I've have seen in Australia in this regard!
Overall, I was impressed, a great leap forward!
Most dealers as I write this will have a Omega or two hidden with SS's available late week, the vehicle go's on sale on the 12th! (read test drives on the 12th!)

My 2 cents worth

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
I rekon it seems smaller up close? For some reason? I think its cos the front axel is closer to the front?
Howd you like that Scotty???????????????????

west55

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sv6
Just reponding to a couple of questions here.
Firstly, quicker then a VZSV6? Hard to answer. The driver (Holden Dealership) put his foot into it, and its seems to have plenty of grunt, but was a bit non responsive down low. We both made the comment that the engine seems really tight. Once it got going it sounded and accelerated like my VZ SV6, but just seems a little doey off the line. I've found that my SV6 is only just starting to get up and go now and thats after 35,000km.

Concerning the other question, how did I get a ride?. Well I have a mate that's "IN" a Holden Dealership. So I've pushed him a bit over the last couple of weeks knowing full well that Holden would have a drive day for senior dealership people, and I was working on just turning up. Well as it turned out, they did have a drive day about 2 weeks ago, at Eastern Creek......it was kept very quiet. Anyway, I've kept making phone calls on a daily basis, and on Tuesday I just happened to catch him with a new VE being detailed in private, he then drove me back to the dealership. As I said just happened to be in the right place at the right time.
Lastly, when we arrived back at the Dealership and drove into the workshop (on the horn all the way) all the mechanics who didn't know it was arriving too by the way, surrounded the car. Most of their comments were that it seemed smaller then the VZ.
Nearly all of them thought the VE looked fantastic!
Guys poke around your Holden dealerships, all will have a VE or two hidden somewhere in the dealership. I'll keep you posted as I'm working on the first drive of an SS.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
isn't the VE V6 motor the same as the VZSV6 engine? if so how could one be quicker than the other?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
bangers said:
isn't the VE V6 motor the same as the VZSV6 engine? if so how could one be quicker than the other?

No... 180kw for the Omega, 195kw high output for the SV6 etc.

VZ SV6 had a 190kw high output alloytec. The engines are different. 30 different parts in the VE ones or something.

VKStevo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
oh my god, u are soo lucky, i soo wanna ride in a ve, ive only been for a ride in 1 vz (a friends manual ss ute that he didnt even drive till it was putting out well over 300 kw's lol, fark that went, we were doing like 180 in like 10 seconds, on a closed circuit of course :whistling ), actually make that 2, i drove my aunties new gen III adventra if that counts