Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rights at work protest today

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
whilst this isn't entirely on topic, its to do with unions. I don't know what they think that striking will achieve. The members lose a day (or more) pay, they inconvenience the public, and yet expect empathy. I know the sentiment of those I associate with in regards to the strike. They don't think bloody lousy govt. or lousy employer give them a pay rise they deserve it. People tend to think eg. bloody lazy teachers get back to work. I think strikes often does more harm than good.

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
My other half is a teacher, trust me, they work DAMNED hard for the little money they do get. If i did her job i'd want 100k a year. Imagine trying to educate 30 little smart mouthed little shits without having any true form of discipline.

My wife is also a teacher in a Catholic primary school and totally agree!!! I still rib her about the leave she gets though! :yeah:

Reckon the IR laws are bad? If you work in the catholic education system and have a sexual relationship out of wedlock you can be sacked. If you live with a partner before marriage, you can be sacked. If you have a child out of wedlock, you can be sacked.

drewins

swear word
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore wagon
I dont know if some of you understand what the rally was for. It wasnt a 'We want more money' rally. It was a 'we want to keep our rights' rally.

"I help run our family buisness which employs 20 odd blokes.
Not one of them has been asked to sign anything as far as the IR agreements are concerned, they are happy with their wages and conditions.
You do the right thing by your workers which is supposedly what the unions are about but when you go near a union site to work with the proper cards(red card ect.) the bastards still haggle you to death about joining.
They are a waste of time and money imo, i would NEVER join a union, my brother joined 15 years ago and has seen a union rep once in that time, 2 weeks after he joined."

It mainly effects large buisnesses not small ones. I didnt go to the rally because I am an apprentice and I was not allowed. But all of the maintenance crew did. They are hard working and generally smart blokes. While the laws dont effect us yet we are in fear that our employer could and might screw us over in the future. And Minux dont give me this 'but if you worked hard your employer will treat you well' crap. Some employers dont give a s**t about their employees. I wont say where I work but its a big place that employs about 15 apprentices every year. This year out of 12 4th year apprentices only 2 are going to get jobs. Yet there are parts where they are in desperate need of tradies. Contractors are being brought in more and more. Is this fair?

Bravotwozero

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 AMG C63 W204 Speedshift + 2013 KW T909
I dont know if some of you understand what the rally was for. It wasnt a 'We want more money' rally. It was a 'we want to keep our rights' rally.

"I help run our family buisness which employs 20 odd blokes.
Not one of them has been asked to sign anything as far as the IR agreements are concerned, they are happy with their wages and conditions.
You do the right thing by your workers which is supposedly what the unions are about but when you go near a union site to work with the proper cards(red card ect.) the bastards still haggle you to death about joining.
They are a waste of time and money imo, i would NEVER join a union, my brother joined 15 years ago and has seen a union rep once in that time, 2 weeks after he joined."

It mainly effects large buisnesses not small ones. I didnt go to the rally because I am an apprentice and I was not allowed. But all of the maintenance crew did. They are hard working and generally smart blokes. While the laws dont effect us yet we are in fear that our employer could and might screw us over in the future. And Minux dont give me this 'but if you worked hard your employer will treat you well' crap. Some employers dont give a s**t about their employees. I wont say where I work but its a big place that employs about 15 apprentices every year. This year out of 12 4th year apprentices only 2 are going to get jobs. Yet there are parts where they are in desperate need of tradies. Contractors are being brought in more and more. Is this fair?

Do you work for telstra? Seriously! :)

Fekason

Fekason
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 MY16 SV6, 2 x Triumph 2500 (1970/77), manuals
Not Quite Convinced Yet!

I am probably getting splinters sitting on the fence on this one. My final judgement will be based on the outcomes I see over a period of time.

On the side of minux, I agree that most employers value the good workers and would not intentionally shaft them if there were other options.

Yes, there will be those who abuse the new rules. Why would you want to work for them? Over time, their attitude will mean they lose good staff and can only attract lesser staff as their reputation gets around. They will probably get their "just rewards" at some time.

However, I do think that there will be some who are unfairly treated and don't have "escape" options. I do feel concern for them. But my experience is that there are employers who mistreat staff on awards anyhow, and those who will be caught by the new IR laws are probably the same as will be unfairly taken advantage of no matter what the law says.

At this time, I lean towards the work hard and persevere agrument and over the long run you will reap the rewards. It seems potentially much better for the common good than some of my past union dealings with the Painters and Dockers Union.

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
minux - point one: Don't make the assumption I'm uneducated simply because I have a **** job
point two: DOn't compare your life to mine, we have very little, if anything, in common

Last edited:

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
does that mean you're stuck there for the next 5 years also?

Indeed it does, but my wages are increased per year, bonuses are excellent and salary package is even better, i have 0 reason to leave.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
minux - point one: Don't make the assumption I'm uneducated simply because I have a **** job

Well if you were better educated you surely would have a better job, if you had better experience(again a form of education) you would have a better job, i find it hard to beleive that one stays in a **** job simply because they want to?

point two: DOn't compare your life to mine, we have very little, if anything, in common

I am very thankful this, i wouldn't trade my life so far for anything, i've travelled to everywhere nationally and internationally that i have ever wanted to, i have served in 2 conflicts on the front line, i have a great gf(soon to be fiance) i own my house and mortgage others, i have the cars i enjoy. I worked my ass off for my life and i am happy about that. So i am defiantly glad we do not have anything in coomon.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Indeed it does, but my wages are increased per year, bonuses are excellent and salary package is even better, i have 0 reason to leave.

then you wont get shafted by the IR laws for 5 years

i bet your in middle management where you get to treat the workers like **** while sucking up to the CEO's.

BTW i'm a subcontractor so these laws don't really affect me

but i support all in the workforce affected by these scumbag laws