Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rim Respray

aj2212

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Grange
Hey everyone. I'm gonna be getting my rims resprayed to black over the christmas holidays, and was wondering if anyone has had their rims powder coated, and whether its better than paint.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Your choice, both methods work.

aj2212

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Grange
So I've taken the car to a place out in Mortlake called Wheels Respray. It's currently in their warehouse, getting painted. Can't wait to see the end results

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Are they doing a clear coat over the top of the powder coat?
This may be old info as I’ve not had a set done for literally decades; but powder coat then was more porous than paint, and brake-dust would get in & permanently stain the wheels. No damage, just didn’t look the best. So all factory wheels, also decent brand aftermarket like Simmons used to be (and all Japanese wheels), were powder-coated then clear-coated.

H

harrop.senator

Powder coat is more scratch resistant but if you chip it will flake off much easier and wont have the same finish as paint . Unsure about clearing but powder coating does seem harder to clean brake dust off then paint.

2k all day if you want flash with that pop. Powder coat for longevity and daily use.

H

harrop.senator

Also some Jap wheels are painted or ive refinished ones that have been baremetaled as I've gone through to primer a couple times sanding them down and you dont prime before powder coating the sandblasting creates the etch apparently.

Though some people swear by getting them blasted going home super etching them and taking them back for powder coat. Also Simmons Gold has a paint code so they also may have been painted most times something's a powder coat they have a replicate colour similar in paint but Simmons used to over them in 1k cans or tubs for touch ups.

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
images

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Cheap-arse steel gerlytruk wheel ... reminds me of the dog wearing the Head Cone Of Shame ... :)

H

harrop.senator

Ive painted more rims with playing cards then id like to admit. Some even etched 2ked and cleared hahahahaha.