Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rim searching, what should you look for?

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Thunder Ute, MKII LV XR5 TURBO
Hey, this has been on my mind a little bit and i was hoping i could possibly get some answers here.
There are fake rims out there and people proclaim that they are the "real deal" is there any way to spot a real rim over a fake one?
some expensive rims may have duplicates that look identical and may be troublesome to spot if they are real or not.

Is there a way to tell? are fake ones decent too?

or is this a case of simply just research the rims before you buy thing?

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
A bit of reading/watching if you feel inclined. My good mate Skaifey reckons real is better.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/car-news/why-you-shouldnt-buy-knock-off-wheels
https://www.wheels24.co.za/News/why-fakereplica-wheels-are-a-real-problem-20170510

I only use Holden rims ….. yeah, boring, no sense of adventure ………. but I know that they are ‘suitable for purpose’ and I don’t get problems from roadworthys, and over-zealous policemans at RBTs when they wander around the car looking for that ‘something’.
You will just have to do your homework.

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
hey figjam, thanks for the links. i will look into it. I did not think that officers would get that far into it. probably because i come across some of the good ones. maybe i will get a bad one soon, hope not though. i will keep that in mind when rim hunting. Thanks

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
They are out there.
I got an aggressive one who RBT'd me and asked me to recite the alphabet. I counted to 10. He said 'I asked for the alphabet".... I replied that it was an alcohol breath test not an intelligence test. He took at long time to look at my licence and around the car before dismissing me. Maybe I should not have been a smartRS.

Zachariah

Reaction score
Members Ride
it would probably be wise to be as respectful as possible even if you are annoyed. i do think for officers respect does go further. Just what i find. But i did like your comeback though. You bet he would be taking his sweet sweet time looking for something after that comment haha

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
For the rims question, from memory the real holden or hsv wheels will have certain markings that aren't on the copies.
Or the sizes aren't the same.
Cant remember the exact model but from factory they were 18s yet the copies were 19s etc.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Do you mean these 19" CV8 R rims copy. They are not HSV GTS, which is similar, their hub is round, not star shaped.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The only way to be certain would be the casting marks inside the wheel.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
This thread came up when I googled something else.