Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rim size legality (W.A)

Chuckmeister

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS 383 Harrop enhanced
Hi guys, new to the forum so be gentle :p
Just bought myself a vx ss that I plan on doing a few cosmetic changes as well as a cam kit as time goes on. Like everyone else its likely to be a work in progress.
Anyway I've decided to start on cosmetics at first.
Looking at putting on a set of simmons om-1's in the near future (as soon as I can figure out correct wheel size). I have been reading that legally I can only put on a rim and tyre size that is no more than 25mm from factory. I believe my car came out with 17 by 235 tyres though clubbys came out with 18 inch rims.
I'm an old fart now and dont want to deal with cops as they usually pick wheels and tyres first.
So to cut a long rant short...is it legal to have 20 inch rims with 245's all round in Western Australia or am I stuck at 19's (seeing as clubbys came out with them)with that 25mm limit?

Thanks Chuck

edit - oh and also wondering if staggered rims is legal too...

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
If you do a search of the forum, you will find that you can run any size you wish and what is required to run the size you wish

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY

So what part isn't correct with what I posted? The part of what ever size you want and what is required, or the part of the answers can be found on the forum by doing a search?

4 WHEELS AND TYRES The overall tyre diameter can be increased to allow an increase of 7.5mm in vehicle height for passenger vehicles and no more than 25mm in vehicle height for four wheel drive vehicles (typically MC ADR category). Tyres fitted to off-road passenger and light goods vehicles (MC, NA, NB ADR category) must not be more than 50% wider than the vehicle manufacturer’s widest optional tyre. Tyres fitted to passenger vehicles must not be more than 30% wider than the vehicle manufacturer’s widest optional tyre. The rim width must match the recommendations for the tyre fitted. The tables of original tyres with the maximum allowable tyre and rim sizes in Clause 4.2 NonStandard Tyres and Rims are applicable. The wheel track of off-road and four wheel drive vehicles (MC, NA, NB ADR category) must not be increased by more than 50mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model. The wheel track of passenger vehicles, including four wheel drives or all wheel drive vehicles certified as MA ADR category must not be increased by more than 25mm beyond the maximum specified by the vehicle manufacturer for the particular model. The wheels must be contained within the bodywork or mudguards (including flares) when the wheels are in the straight-ahead position. Adequate clearance must be available between the tyres and the vehicle bodywork. Speedometer accuracy must be maintained for the selected ty

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
the part where you say you can run any size you wish

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
the part where you say you can run any size you wish

This part as per the link you posted up....Doesn't appear to mention anything about being restricted to a size, just an overall diametre....

4.2.4 Overall Nominal Diameter The overall diameter of any tyre fitted to a passenger car or passenger car derivative must not be more than 15mm larger or 26mm smaller than that of any tyre designated by the vehicle manufacturer for that model.

If this isn't the part, it might be best you post the section up you are referring to, to save confusion

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
diameter is part of the size
you say you can fit any size you like, now you are quoting "diameter must not be more than 15mm larger"
but if you are referring to width
4.2.8 covers that as well
i will not be joining in any more
the above document covers the law
thank-you

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
diameter is part of the size
you say you can fit any size you like, now you are quoting "diameter must not be more than 15mm larger"
but if you are referring to width
4.2.8 covers that as well
i will not be joining in any more
the above document covers the law
thank-you

You have missed the overall part, which means you can fit any size you wish with the rest I have already covered in my first post...ie, it is covered by searching the forum for the answers