Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Rims & Removing windscreen wipers

eXphoid

I have no license yet xD.
Reaction score
Website
www.exphoid.com
Members Ride
VZ executive & VS Equipe S2 Ecotec
2 questions.

1. I need to remove my wipers completely from the car, is this simply removing the bolt and lifting the wiper off or is there more to it? I tried but it didnt lift off nicely and I was worried that I will break the plastic collectors right underneath it. I need to remove it to paint them.

2. My placard says my rim size needs to be 6 J so I assume that means 15". I'm looking to put 18's on but Ive been recommended to get 17's as I will have reasonable chances of getting defected with 18's as well as having to lower the vehicle in order to make it look good with 18's. As I will be on my P's I wanna try keep everything legal... what is the (VIC) upsizing laws? 1" or 2" ? If I go bigger do I need to do anything special in order to keep my vehicle legal?

Thanks in advanced. I'm trying to stay legal for insurance reasons and keeping a low profile on the roads.

Whilst I'm here, as exhaust tips aren't performance enhancing in anyway.. i'd have no problems in changing my tip to twins right?

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Once the bolt is off, there going to be a bit stiff, i didnt have any WD 40 or anything, so i poured a little Peanut Oil (cooking oil) around the thread, and then i was able to jiggle them off...

BENJAMUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.3 ltr blown vy ute & vs 5L ute
my standard wheel size is 14 but i hav 17 lookin at goin 18s soon but i think you r only ment 2 go up 2 inches from your standard wheel size or ya just get them cetificted

eXphoid

Reaction score
Website
www.exphoid.com
Members Ride
Once the bolt is off, there going to be a bit stiff, i didnt have any WD 40 or anything, so i poured a little Peanut Oil (cooking oil) around the thread, and then i was able to jiggle them off...

Sweet, I'll give that a shot.

my standard wheel size is 14 but i hav 17 lookin at goin 18s soon but i think you r only ment 2 go up 2 inches from your standard wheel size or ya just get them cetificted

Who certifies them? Mechanics or places like Beaurepaires? I've also read about the speed differences and needing to get them reset... do these places do it as well or would I have to go back to holden

BENJAMUM

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.3 ltr blown vy ute & vs 5L ute
my speed differences isnt out with the low profile wheels its near the same size tryed it up next 2 me mates car and i live in a small town so we go 2 to a bigger town but most ppl dont get any thing ticked off and the cops dont hit us 2 hard lol

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
The wiper arms will just take a bit of jiggling to get off, but I got mine off without WD40 or anything.

In Vic you can have any size rims you want as long as the rolling diameter is the same. There is no "2 sizes up" rule here. You definately won't get defected with 18s.

Shouldn't have a problem with the exhaust tips, but please don't put 2 3" dump pipes on, it just looks wanky

eXphoid

Reaction score
Website
www.exphoid.com
Members Ride
The wiper arms will just take a bit of jiggling to get off, but I got mine off without WD40 or anything.

In Vic you can have any size rims you want as long as the rolling diameter is the same. There is no "2 sizes up" rule here. You definately won't get defected with 18s.

Shouldn't have a problem with the exhaust tips, but please don't put 2 3" dump pipes on, it just looks wanky

:unsure: I hope that is the law. Now I just need to find out what I can do with my insurance.

And as for the exhaust tips, i'm looking at something like what <RaBBiT> has.

helrzr925

Reaction score
Members Ride
slammed vr wagon 3.8L
concerning the rims, i don't know about in vic, but in queensland as long as your tyres don't exceed your models static diameter (overall diameter), which if the vs 's came out like the vr's should be 25.4" (as a general rule of thumb you should not change your tyres static diameter at all)
if your buying through a tyre shop and they're fitting them they should look after getting the right tyre size, but if your buying the tyres seperate to the rims you'll have to work it out your self.

finding the right tire size can be a pain in the ass, especially if your changing your rim's diameter and width (unless of course you like you tyres stretched :yeah:)

if your getting bigger diameter rim's your tyre's profile needs to decrease, and if your changing your rim's width (and don't want your tyres stretched) than you have to decrease your tyre's profile again to maintain the same overall diameter

how to work out your tyres static diameter 101:
for example lets use my tyre's size 205/65/R15
all you do is workout your tyre's profile (sidewall height) which is expressed as a percentage of your tyre's tread area (65%) ,
and find 65% of your tread area (205mm) which equals 133.25mm times that number by 2
which equals 266.5mm and convert that number to inches, which is 10.49" ad that number with your rim size (15")
which equals 25.4"
there you have it it's as easy as pie, mmmm pie :w00t:

hope that helps :thumbsup:

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
STOCK
15” 205/65/15
Diameter: 647.5mm
Circumference: 2034.2mm
Revs/Km: 492.0
When your Speedo reads 100Km/h, you are actually travelling at 100Km/h
Stock ride height

REPLACEMENT WHEELS
16” 225/55/16
Diameter: 653.9mm
Circumference: 2054.3mm
Revs/Km: 487.0
When your Speedo reads 100Km/h, you are actually travelling at 101Km/h
3.2mm higher then stock ride height

17” 235/45/17
Diameter: 643.3mm
Circumference: 2021.0mm
Revs/Km: 495.0
When your Speedo reads 100Km/h, you are actually travelling at 99.4Km/h
2.1mm lower then stock ride height

18” 235/40/18
Diameter: 645.2mm
Circumference: 2027.0mm
Revs/Km: 493.0
When your Speedo reads 100Km/h, you are actually travelling at 99.6Km/h
1.15mm lower then stock ride height

Thats a bit of a guide on how the speedo etc is affected by different wheels. If you google "tyre size calculator" you will find a few good sites as well

EDIT: Yeah I like Rabbits exhaust, I have twin 2.5in stainless tips on mine as well

eXphoid

Reaction score
Website
www.exphoid.com
Members Ride
:hit: Agh with all my physics running through my head atm (exam tues) it's hard to absorb all that but I think i'm understanding the basic gist of things.

Something tells me, as my rim gets bigger, my tyre gets thinner, stiffer and gets harder sidewalls?